19

you finished the project later than you expected. you still had to edit it but rodrick insisted that it looked great.

a shiver ran down your neck as you leaned back against the window near the bed, watching the curtains flow next to you.

"I think it's going to rain" rodrick spoke softly, taking a seat next to you.

"hmmm... maybe. you don't like rain?" you smiled softly, turning to look at him.

"I love rain... only when I'm inside though" he smiled back and you both let out a chuckle, almost in sync.

"what time is it?" you reached to grab your phone and sat back down, a little closer to rodrick.

"you're going home?" he asked, his body turned to face you as you looked at the messages left on your lock screen.

"maybe I can stay... we finished the project anyway" rodrick's smile grew wider as you spoke.

"I'll take the couch" he got up and wandered around his room, as if trying to find something.

"what are you doing?" you chuckled. "get back here..." you sat up straight, your body language screaming enthusiasm.

"I'll get you a blanket, princess" rodrick rushed out of the room, leaving you dumbfounded at the nickname.

"what??" you shouted so he could hear you and got up to follow rodrick outside.

"that was an insult" he quickly justified his choice of words.

you felt like teasing him a bit more, even though you understood exactly what he meant.

"mhmm... sure, I'll believe that" you followed him to the kitchen.

no one was around at the time, his siblings in their room as Mr and Mrs heffley watched tv in the living room.

"you'd love me to call you that, wouldn't you?" his voice sounded low, a smirk apparent on his lips when he looked down at you.

rodrick grabbed a few snacks and hit the back to your head gently, pushing you towards his room again.

"no, definitely not" you argued and plopped on his bed.

rodrick chuckled and threw a bag of chips, hitting your head. "headshot" he threw himself on the bed next to you and watched you dramatically groan in pain.

"you're so mean" you mumbled, falling back on rodrick's bed.

he watched as you laid down on his old mattress, looking at the ceiling. he opened the chips and fed you one before eating the rest.

"you're not that bad..." you commented after a while of comfortable silence, catching rodrick off guard.

"good to know you don't hate me" he chuckled and fed you another chip.

"can't hate you for being stupid" you sat up and grabbed the bag from him, eating a few more chips.

"is it because I said you dress like a whore? you know that was just a bad joke" he looked down at your outfit, noticing how well your clothes fit for your body type.

his eyes shot up to yours after a few seconds and you tugged his hair, curses and groans escaping his lips.

"perv" you passed him the chips and released his hair from your grip after he begged you to stop.

---

some time passed and the first drops of rain hit your bare nape. you reached for your flannel and he took the hint to close the window.

"you're cold?" he spoke, sounding tired.

you nodded as he covered your shoulders with your flannel, murmuring something inaudible under his breath.

"rodrick" you yawned quietly, rubbing your eyes.

"yeah?" rodrick paused the movie that was playing in the background, the volume low to not wake up the rest of house.

"aren't you sleepy?" you fiddled with the clean blanket rodrick brought, watching as he got up.

"night" he simply spoke and ruffled your hair gently.

you looked up at him as he gathered his phone and changer. he opened the door to leave before stopping to face you.

"don't touch my stuff... or you're dead" he warned you, pointing at you with a drumstick that was laying around before throwing it at you.

"ow" you fake whined, getting comfortable in his bed.

the room was dark, soft rain tapping the window. rodrick's pillows and blankets felt rather soft under your skin, his scent evident all over his room.

you heard the door crack open. "sweet dreams, princess" rodrick whispered, his head peeking in the room.

"shut up" your immediate response made a chuckle escape his lips. "can't sleep?" you added, whispering as well.

"me? I just came up to check on you" he scoffed and you smiled softly, looking at him sleepily.

"cute... go to sleep" you strictly spoke.

rodrick quickly turned away and left the room, quietly closing the door behind him. his smile couldn't fade off his lips as he laid on the couch, falling asleep immediately.

---

morning came, rodrick's light snoring sounding around the living room as his parents ate breakfast with Manny, Greg and his friend.

"we'll go upstairs now" Greg and Rowley quickly got up and put their plates away.

"alright, Rowley your dad is coming to get you in a few hours" Mrs heffley spoke.

Rowley nodded and they headed up the stairs, giggling. rodrick woke up after a while and groaned, stretching and yawning.

"rodrick, breakfast is ready" his dad spoke, earning a hum in response.

rodrick got up and walked to the table, thinking about waking you up soon. he started eating, unaware of the kids' plan to explore his bedroom.