OVERWHELMED

TW : Panic Attack, Anxiety, Mention of Abuse

Lizzie POV :

I came back to my room to get ready for the day. I put some black pants and an oversize shirt. When I got downstairs, I realized Holland wasn't here.

"Where is Holland ?" I asked Sarah.

"She left, she had to do some work, it's just the both of us today ! What do you want to do ?"

"I don't know." I answered looking down. I didn't feel completely comfortable yet.

"What about we go buy some decorations for your room ?"

"Sounds good to me." I replied happily.

I grabbed my little bag and Sarah took her purse. We drove to a store and when we entered, there was a lot of people so I started getting anxious, but Sarah didn't notice it. We walked in the shelves and Sarah asked me what was my favorite color.

"I like dark green." I answered.

"Do you like this painting ?" She showed a painting of a girl laying on grass.

"Yes it's pretty !"

Sarah took it and we kept walking around the store. But there was a lot of noises and I was getting very very stressed. My breathing was heavy and Sarah noticed.

"Are you okay Lizzie ?"

"I- yes, I feel a bit overwhelmed."

"Do you want to leave ?"

"No it's okay, don't worry." I said shakily.

Sarah kindly smiled at me. We took some other decorations and when we arrived at the cash desk, there was a big queue. People were shoving each other and someone pushed me. I thought I was going to fall and I dropped to the floor. I put my hands on my ears and I couldn't breathe.

Sarah POV :

Lizzie suddenly fell to the floor. She was in a ball and obviously feeling very nervous.

"Lizzie ?! Lizzie are you okay ??" I asked as I crouched in front of her. I put my hands on hers but she pushed me.

"NO ! Please don't hurt me I'm sorry !" She sobbed uncontrollably.

"I'll never hurt you sweetheart, never." I said as I was trying to take her hands in mine, but she was fighting. People were now forming a circle around us and I understood that Lizzie was having a panic attack.

"Breathe honey, it's me it's Sarah, you're okay."

But she wasn't hearing me. She wasn't breathing normally and she kept fighting me when I was trying to touch her.

"Elizabeth, it's me it's Sarah. You're fine, I'll never hurt you. Now please let me help you, you're going to be okay, please look at me, I'm right here I won't leave you and I won't hurt you, I promise."

As she wasn't hearing me, I took her and hugged her very tightly. At first she tried to pull me away but I was stronger than her so I gripped her very tight until she started calming. Her breathing was still heavy so I put her head against my chest so she could hear my heartbeat, I read once that it helped when someone was having a bad panic attack, and it was what was happening to Lizzie. She calmed down on my lap and raised her head after a little while.

"Good girl, you're okay, I'm here, you're safe with me." I said, still holding her. I slowly released my grip on her little body and she looked at me.

"You just had a panic attack sweetheart but you're fine. Everything's fine. We're coming home."

I helped her standing up and I quickly paid the items. I helped Lizzie walking to the car as she was unsteady. She seemed very tired so I sat her on the backseat and she lie down. I drove fast to our home and when we arrived, she was already sleeping. I took the bags inside and I came back to take her bridal style to her bed. I put the cover on her weak body and I shut down the light.

When I was downstairs, I called Holland.

"Hi my love, I'm sorry to bother you at work, but Lizzie just had a very bad panic attack at the store. She is sleeping in her bed but it was horrible, I didn't know what to do, I'm afraid I scared her even more." I said, tears filling my eyes.

"You didn't darling, I know you didn't. You're so soft and gentle and if she is asleep right now, she is safe. You made her feel safe."

"When will you come home ?" I asked.

"Probably late. Eat without me and try to figure out why it happened. I love you, see you later my love."

"I love you too, bye". I said hanging up the phone.