LEAVING

Sarah POV :

Days passed, even weeks and Lizzie and I were growing closer each day. She was such a lovely child hiding under a terrible past. She was bright and intelligent, brilliant in everything she undertook and happy for nothing. Like the day we went shopping, her, Holland and I, I bought her a necklace with a small silver heart and she nearly cried of happiness. She is always so cheerful, even when she has hard times. When Meredith was coming for check up, I can tell she was afraid but she was so strong, every time. I'm so proud to have a girl like her. But all those things were taken away when Helena, the foster home manager called me.

"Hi Miss Paulson, how are you ? How is Lizzie ? It's been a while !"

"I'm fine and Lizzie too. She is an incredible young lady, we're so happy to have her with us." I answered.

"I'm happy to hear that Miss Paulson. And soon you'll have the chance to meet a new child, because we found a family which accepts to take Lizzie, to adopt her."

I gasped. "What ? I- I don't understand."

"You took Lizzie temporarily, it's how the foster system works. You signed up papers which says that you take care of her the time she's waiting for a definitive family to adopt her."

"Yes, I know b-but I thought she'll be staying a bit more with us, because you said before that it was hard to find definitive families for teenagers." I was suddenly sweating, Lizzie couldn't leave us.

"And that's true, but fortunately we found it ! And the better thing is that it's her biological parents !" Helena replied.

I was speechless. Lizzie never talked to us about her birth parents, but I learned by the orphanage that they left her when she was a baby. Why were they coming back after all this time ? After putting Lizzie through so much ?

"Miss Paulson ? Are you still there ?"

"Y-yes I am, sorry. Did you already told Lizzie ?"

"No, I was counting on you for this. Is this a problem ?"

"No it's okay. I'll see how she reacts and if she's okay with it."

"In fact, she won't have the choice. She is a minor, and her parents are coming tomorrow to pick her up at the orphanage. I'll wait for you outside the orphanage at four."

We said goodbyes and she hang up, letting me again, speechless. I walked totally shocked to the garden, finding Holland reading.

"Hi darling, you're okay ? You seem all flustered." She said sitting up.

"I- Helena just called me. Lizzie's biological parents are coming tomorrow to the orphanage to take her. Forever."

Holland made me sit next to her. We discussed the situation during an hour but the conclusion was always the same, we couldn't do anything to change the end. Lizzie was leaving, for her unknown parents. And on the top of that, I had to announce to her. I went upstairs and met Lizzie drawing at her desk. She raised her head.

"Hi Sar ! Look, I'm drawing the house and I'll add butterflies all over because it's nearly the spring !" She said enthusiastically.

"Love, I need to talk to you. Come here." I said sitting on the edge of her bed and patting the spot next to me. She raised her brows in confusion but came on the bed. She hugged me, and I could feel her tense in my embrace. I knew how stressful it was for her to talk sometimes, but I had no choice.

"So... Helena just called me" I started but she cut me.

"How is she ?"

"She's fine, but" She cut me again.

"I miss her a bit. Did you know that she has three cats ! Three !!"

"Lizzie, please listen to me it's important." I said and she buried her head in my chest. "I know you don't like the big talk but I'll be quick. Your biological parents want you back, and they're waiting for you to meet them tomorrow, and go live with them."

Lizzie didn't move so I pulled away and her face was like frozen.

"Did you hear me ?"

She shook her head and hugged me tighter. Her face was now on my neck and I could feel her heavy breathing.