Chapter 3

Shehnaaz was sitting in her classroom completing the activity that the teacher has given to the students. The principal came to the class with a boy and told the students that he is new to this school and expects cooperation and support from all.
Shehnaaz was shocked out of her wits as it was Sidharth. Sidharth gave his brief introduction to the class. On finding no vacant seat other than Shehnaaz's, he went and sat there. The teacher came to tell him about the work that he has missed out in this 1 week of new session. He told the teacher that Shehnaaz is his neighbour and he will complete all the pending work with her help. Shehnaaz who was still in shock came out of it when she felt a tap on her shoulder.

"Arey kaha kho gayi hai tu. Kab se tujhse puch raha hun, bata na konse subject se kaam start karun", said Sidharth.
"Kya? Konsa kaam?", she said still in daze.
"Yaar tu pagal ho gayi hai kya? Kyu mujhe humesha dekh ke aisa react karti hai?", said Sidharth a bit irritated this time as he had loads of pending work to be completed and Shehnaaz was in no way helping him.
"Sorry, sorry. Suno aap abhi na book exercises kar lo. Jaldi ho jaayegi, ghar pe aaram se notebook mai work kar lena", she replied seeing his irritated face.
He nodded and took out his books and gave a few of them to her and said with a puppy face, "Ek do books mai tu kar de, aur kuch mai mein kar deta hun. Jaldi ho jaayega. Please." She smiled and started helping him.
Suddenly she asked him, "Aap toh keh rahe the na ki mai chhoti si baby hun aur aap mujhse bade ho. Ab aap chhoti si baby ki class mai kya kar rahe ho?" He smiled when she mimicked him while saying "chhoti si baby" and was about to reply but she continued nonetheless with a shocking expression on her face, "Haaye Rabba, kahi aap fail toh nahi ho gaye the na".
He was flabbergasted at her statement or conclusion, whatever it was. Huh. "Yeh innocent hai, no doubt. But she is naughty as well. Perhaps, a side of her of which only I am aware", he thought.
"Tu sach mai pagal hai. Abhi help karwa meri, ghar jaate time sab bataunga", he replied.
She nodded with her captivating smile and resumed with her work, to be precise his work.

On their way back to home, she nudged him to complete their unfinished conversation.
"Such an inquisitive girl", his mind said.
"Batao na, aap chhoti si baby ki class mai kaise aaye", she teased and mimicked him.
"You are never going to stop teasing me. Hai na?", he asked to which she replied mischievously, "No, never, kabhi nahi.
"Chal aa mere saath. Mai batata hu", he held her hand and crossed the road when his eyes caught something on the other side of the road.
"Bhaiya 2 dena", he said to the cotton candy seller.
This gesture made her heart flutter. She never had anyone who did something for her on their own. Not even Gurvinder, who would buy something for himself but never asked her.
"Yeh le", he said giving one cotton candy to her after paying the seller and again held her hand and crossed the road. The road wasn't that busy. But he was protective towards his people. His people. Hmm. Isn't this progress too fast? But he felt nothing wrong in this.
"Tujhe pata hai isse kya kehte hai", he asked her about cotton candy.
She nodded and replied, "Hindi mai budhi ke baal aur English mai cotton candy."
"Waah yaar, tu toh badi intelligent hai", he said cheering her which made her proud of herself. It wasn't a big thing, but for her it was. Afterall, she was praised for the first time ever in her life.
He continued, "Isse na cotton candy ke alawa fairy floss aur candy floss bhi bolte hai. Okay, yaad rakhna isse bhi."
She nodded and said with her signature pout, "Baat mat palto na, batao aap meri class mai kaise?"

"Toh sun. Hua yun na mai 2 saal pehle bohat bimaar pad gaya tha. Pehle jaundice, phir pneumonia, phir wapas jaundice. Usme mera pura 1 saal barbaad ho gaya. School hi nahi jaa pata tha. Phir immunity weak ho gayi toh uski wajah se bimaar rehne laga. Phir ek din weakness ki wajah se gir gaya aur fracture ho gaya tha. In sab mai mera dusra saal bhi barbaad", he told her and kept walking. She felt sad listening to this. He continued, "In sab ke kaaran I couldn't study for 2 years. Bohat kuch miss ho gaya tha, toh maa ne kaha ki base weak reh jaayega toh un classes se hi resume kar apni studies. Mujhe bhi yeh sahi laga sun ne mai, and I accepted her suggestion. And that's how I am in chhoti si baby's class. He said the last line to make her smile when he saw that she became sad listening about his illness and sufferings. He was successful as a beautiful smile adorned her face.