Chapter 4

"Baba, maine kaha na ki agar aap Arpita ko sirf girls school ke chakkar mai uss mediocre school mai daaloge toh mai bhi yeh schhol chhod dunga. Mein bhi phir koi mediocre school mai hi jaaunga", said Sidharth in a determined voice.

Actually, it was dinner time when Ravindra declared that Arpita will be admitted to a girls school. Sidharth did not like the idea as the school does not provide good education. He was determined that either Arpita will join the school in which Sidharth is studying or he will also leave that school and join a mediocre school. If Ravindra was adamant, Sidharth was also iron-willed.

"Sidharth, your school is co-educational. You expect me to send Arpita to a school where even boys are there. I do not approve of this", said Ravindra rigidly.
"In that case, how do you favour to send me to a school where girls are there. Also, you and me should stay separately from Maa, Badi Maa and Arpita. Hai toh hum bhi opposite gender hi na", he retorted using his logics.
"Sidharth. I am tired of your stubbornness. I won't accept this demand of yours. Arpita will go to the girls school only", he said in a stern tone.
"Okay fine. I agree. Par mai bhi uss school mai nahi jaaunga. Arpita ki school ka ek boys school bhi hai, mera admission usme karwa dena. Shubh ratri", he said with finality and left the dining table.

Sudha didn't utter a word in between them. For her, it is common to see them arguing. She let them argue and decide and interrupt only when there is a grave requirement.
Asha never speaks anything against Ravindra. She already feels indebted to him for looking after her and her daughter's needs after Raj's demise. However, she feels blessed to have Sidharth in her life.
Talking about Arpita, she is a little girl. However, she understands well that her brother fights for her.

"Bhaiya, aap kyu kaka se lad rahe ho. Mai chali jaaungi na uss school mai", said Arpita.
"Tu chup reh Aru, mai itni mehnat kar raha hun aur tu sab bekaar kar degi agar baba ne sun lia toh", said Sidharth in a calm voice. No matter how much angry he is, he never raises his voice on his Aru.
"Arey par...", she was about to say something but was interrupted by Sidharth, "No Aru. Not a word. Mai dekh lunga jo karna hai. Tujhe compromise nahi karna hai. Yeh shehar chhota hai, facilities kam hai toh baba ko change hona padega. Tu apni padhai pe asar nahi padne degi."
"Aaja, aaj mere paas soyegi ya badi maa ke paas jana hai", he said shutting that matter. He thought to deal with it in his own way.
"Aapke paas", she said ever so cutely that he wondered if anyone could deny to this angel. But then Paramjeet came to his mind. He thought and then laughed, "Haan sirf vo hi mana kar sakti hai itni cuteness ko. Unke alawa itna jigra kisi mai nahi hai." Sidharth and Paramjeet, the sweetest bond. Isn't it?
"Aaja", he said spreading his arms and made her sleep patting her head. He also drifted to sleep a little later thinking about his next course of action.

Next day, he was all set to go to school and even to take Arpita with him. While doing his breakfast, he thought of something and then spoke loudly, "Maa, mera aur Aru ka tiffin box pack kar dena aur khaana thoda zyaada rakhna. Vo school durr hai na isliye kahi aate aate bhukh lag gayi toh", he said nonchalantly.
"Nahi lagegi zyaada bhukh tujhe, chinta mat kar. Iss baar bhi tu jeeta aur mai haara. Saath chal raha hu mai. Arpita ke documents submit karwane hai teri school mai", he said to Sidharth which made him mentally pat his back.
"Bhabhi, aap bhi chaliyega. School mai parents ke signatures ki zarurat padti hai", he then said to Asha who just nodded affirmatively.
Ravindra was not a bad man but just like Windows 1 in your laptop in the year 2021.

Shehnaaz was excited to go to school and reason she need not tell. She stood at the main gate of her house as instructed by Sidharth. She saw him coming along with his family and waved at him. Sidharth went to her and took her to his side of the house. She greeted the elders politely to which they blessed her.
Sidharth told his family, "Maine hi isse kaha tha rukne ke liye. Isko mein apne saath hi lekar jaata hun."
Ravindra nodded and asked them all to settle in his humble car. They were not silk-stocking people, but middle class who lived a modest lifestyle. They all settled in the car except Sudha who remained back at home. There was no work for her at school then why all should go as if going to a reception for blessing the newly married couple.

Arpita was finally enrolled in the same school as that of Sidharth's much to his relief.

That day while coming back from school, Sidharth, Shehnaaz and Arpita were all happy, giggling and talking. Gurvinder felt ignored and unwanted.

On reaching their homes, Sidharth reminded Shehnaaz that he will come and take her with him. He kept standing there till she left and then took Arpita's hand and went to his house. He is damn protective, but it is cute. Not everyone has someone like him in their lives.

He was indeed a smart boy and completed his one week pending work within 2 days. But not to forget, he gave due credits to Shehnaaz as well. She had helped him a lot. They both, then, helped Arpita too.

"Namaste dadiji. Kaise ho aap? Aapko pata hai Shehnaaz kitni intelligent hai, meri kitni help kari usne", said Sidharth proudly with a grin when he came to drop Shehnaaz at her home. This made Paramjeet unhappy as Gurvinder wasn't praised. Now this needs to be taught to a lot of people "taareef unki hoti hai jo uske laayak ho, baat unki hoti hai jinme koi baat ho".
She then defended her grandson, "Arey beta, tujhe nahi pata Gurvinder bohat tez hai. Farraate se apna school ka kaam leta hai."
"Aisa mujhe toh nahi lagta. Meri toh koi help nahi ki usne. Karta toh maan leta", he replied not wanting to miss this chance of war of words with her favourite granny.

Sidharth made sure not to make the environment sombre but he definitely put his points. He knew he couldn't change their thinking, atleast not now, but can make them aware that he is not like their Gurvinder. He would not tolerate anything wrong against Shehnaaz and regarding what right he has on her, then she is his friend. He won't leave her, especially after knowing that she has none on her side and that even she can't raise up her voice.

"Chaliye dadiji mai chalta hun. Shubh ratri", he said politely touching her feet. After all, she is an elder and he is taught to respect them.  A well-mannered boy he is. Isn't it?
Forgetting the previous encounter, she smiled and said, "Jeeta reh puttar. Aata raha kar. Tere sang mera mann bhi behal jaata hai."
"Kyu nahi. Aap bulao aur mein na aaun aisa ho sakta hai kya. Vaise ek baat toh sahi hai aapki aur meri banti khub hai. Mai kya kehta hun dadaji ko chhodo aur meri girlfriend ban jaao. Smart hun, attitude bhi achha hai, baate bhi achhi kar leta hun aur sabse badi baat aap mai aur mere mai pyaar kitna hai", he teased and ran to his house leaving shocked Gills and a giggling Shehnaaz behind. She immediately shut her mouth seeing her Daarji glaring at her and ran to her room.

-------◇◇◇◇◇-------

NOTE : - Updating the next chapter with a hope of improvement in my writing skills. However, I am still open to you precious feedbacks. Thanks to all those who are appreciating my efforts and encouraging me. The lines written in italics are either my povs or my sarcasms, if anyone hasn't understood their presence in the chapters.
Today, I have thought of answering questions of my readers (if any) regarding the book or me. So, please feel free to ask me about the same in the comment section.
     As I have said earlier, updates would be slow due to my Internship so please be patient with me.

{Published on : Monday, 27 December 2021}

_________________________________________

Keep Sidharth and his family in your prayers.

Your writer,
Sudhanya