Chapter 29

It has been two days that Sidharth and Shehnaaz have come back. Also, it was the day of Rakshabandhan.

Sidharth and Arpita celebrated it with joy, teasing each other. Arpita has comforted herself in her bhaiyu's presence but she still couldn't forget her mother's words. Sidharth planned to take Arpita and Shehnaaz for a drive today. He wasn't an expert but he knew driving.

At the Gill House, Shehnaaz was busy making Bhature with her mother. Gurvinder entered the kitchen and frowned seeing Shehnaaz working and sweating profusely.

Gurvinder asked, "Shehnaaz tu tayyar nahi hui abhi tak?"

"Kyu? Kahi jaana hai kya?" Shehnaaz was confused with Gurvinder's question but she kept on working nonetheless.

"Aaj Rakshabandhan hai Shehnaaz." Gurvinder sighed.

"Pata hai. Toh kya hua?" Shehnaaz replied nonchalantly.

"Kya bol rahi hai Shehnaaz? Rakshabandhan hai toh tu mujhe rakhi baandhegi na." Gurvinder spoke.

"Konsa harr baar rakhi bandhwaate hi ho? Pichle 8-9 saalo se toh maine rakhi baandhi hi nahi hai, kyuki aap bandwaate nahi the. Kabhi ladaai kar lete the kabhi baahar ghumne chale jaate the." Shehnaaz said still doing her work.

"Shehnaaz, please. I am sorry. Aaja rakhi baandh de. I promise to protect you..." Gurvinder was interrupted by Shehnaaz, "Nahi, aapke protection ki zarurat nahi hai. You had never done this so don't take this burden now. Khud kar lun gi khud ko protect. Nahi toh aur log bhi hai protect karne ke liye." The last line she spoke with a smile on her face as she remembered a certain someone.

Switching off the gas stove, she said "Chalo baahar. Thaali lekar aati hun."

He nodded but before going out of the kitchen he said, "I know I am too late to understand. Even I am too late to apologise. But you are not a burden, not to me atleast. Aur ab toh bilkul bhi nahi when I realized my mistake."

Shehnaaz was unaffected by his words as she doesn't feel anything toward this family now. Her Amma and she is not a part of this family and she has fully realized it.

She moved out of the kitchen and said, "Amma, naashta ban gaya hai." Reet nodded and asked her in laws and husband to move to the dining table.

Shehnaaz went and sat in front of Gurvinder. She took the rakhi in her hand and gestured Gurvinder to forward his right hand. Gurvinder was hurt as she neither looked at him nor she smiled. She was tying this sacred thread just for a mere formality. Or maybe due to fear of Kulwant.

She tied the rakhi, did his tilak and made him eat piece of sweet. As she was about to stand up, he extended a few gifts in front of her. She didn't spoke but kept looking in doubt whether to take it or not.

By this time, the senior Gills along with Kulwant came after having a hearty breakfast.

Paramjeet, on seeing 2-3 gifts in Gurvinder's hand, said making a face "Rs. 100 hi de deta. Itna kharcha karne ki kya zarurat thi?"

Shehnaaz kept a neutral face though she was again reminded of been a burden to the Gills. But her facial expression turned into that of fear when Kulwant asked Gurvinder, "Kahi isne toh nahi kaha tha na tujhe yeh sab laane ko?"

Kulwant then looked at Shehnaaz and started taking steps towards her. He held her arms tightly repeating the question but this time not to Gurvinder but to her. Shehnaaz started shivering like a dry leaf.

Gurvinder intervened and said, "Isne nahi kaha hai kuch laane ko. Mein apni marzi se laaya hun." This relaxed the Gills as the money was spent not on the daughter's demand but on the son's desires. However, they felt it as a wastage as it was spent on the daughter. The senior Gills retired to their room for rest and Kulwant went to his shop.