Chapter 12

Sidharth, Shehnaaz, Arpita and Gurvinder were ready to go to the school as it was their P.T.M. Ravindra insisted Kulwant to accompany him as their destination is the same. Both men sat in front of the car with kids behind. Shehnaaz was unusually quite as per Sidharth but it wasn't the case. She never spoke much in her father's presence as he did not like it. Sidharth did some gestures asking her what's wrong with her but she only shook her head. They reached the school and it was decided that they will take Sidharth's and Shehnaaz's Term I report card first, followed by Gurvinder's and Arpita's report card. The class teacher praised both of them as they passed with flying colours. She also told Kulwant that Shehnaaz has performed good as compared to her previous performances. Shehnaaz was happy and grateful to Sidharth for this. But Kulwant just nodded and wasn't affected by her result. Shehnaaz saw her father's reaction but for the first time she wasn't affected with his ignorance. Ravindra then went with Arpita and Kulwant with Gurvinder. Shehnaaz and Sidharth also followed their fathers. Ravindra was satisfied seeing his children's result. On the other hand, Kulwant was a bit unsatisfied with Gurvinder's result. He performed well but it was less in comparison to his last performance. Walking towards the parking, Kulwant was asking Gurvinder if he needed any extra support then he will search for some tution for him. He replied that he will tell if he require it after thinking. Shehnaaz was just walking with her father and brother. However, a part of her wanted her father to ask her about her studies if not praise her.

On reaching the parking, Ravindra praised all the kids and told them that they all will get a treat from him in the evening. They returned to their homes.

Gurvinder and Shehnaaz were going to Sidharth's house which was opposite to theirs. On reaching the gate, Shehnaaz saw a dog and was afraid. She looked at Gurvinder for help but he just laughed and started crossing the road teasing her. She stood at the same spot but gaining some courage she took a step. At the same time, the dog stood up and started barking. She didn't know what to do so she turned back to go in the house. Suddenly Gurvinder came from behind, grabbed her hand and started crossing the road. She started crying as she thought he was again bullying her. But he didn't.

On crossing the road, he just hugged her and consoled her. "Oyye kya hua. Chup ho jaa. Dekh kuch nahi hai. Kutta nahi aaya tere paas."

Shehnaaz looked around to confirm what Gurvinder said but was still sobbing. Sidharth came out and saw her crying. He ran and took her out of Gurvinder's embrace and asked, "Kya hua Shehnaaz? Tu ro kyu rahi hai." She hugged him and continued sobbing as she is really afraid of dogs.

Sidharth was panicking seeing her like this and told Gurvinder, "Agar tu ne kuch kia hai na toh mari tujhe chhodunga nahi."

Shehnaaz sensed that it could lead to a fight so she interrupted, "Nahi vo mein kutte se darr gayi thi isliye rona aa gaya. Veerji toh bass mujhe yaha tak lekar aaye." Though Sidharth wasn't satisfied with what she said about her "sweet and caring" brother but was relieved that she atleast stopped crying. He took them inside.

Gurvinder followed them and thought, "Isne pura sach kyu nahi bataya Sidharth bhai ko. Pehle toh mein isse dara hi raha tha. Par maine essa kara kyu? Iske aansun aur dara hua chehra dekh kar mujhe bura kyu laga?"

Ravindra had come home from his office and as promised he brought samosas, kachoris, jalebis, chocolates and brownies for the kids. They all enjoyed and it was time for Shehnaaz and Gurvinder to return. This time Sidharth made it a point to drop her. He did not trusted Gurvinder with Shehnaaz.

Shehnaaz was lying on Reet's lap and telling her about her marks in each subject. She also told how her teacher praised her for improved performance. Reet was happy for her and told her to call Sidharth tomorrow as she wanted to thank him for being her constant support. Reet kissed her forehead and at the same time Gurvinder entered the room. He told Reet that Kulwant was calling her. Reet left. Gurvinder kept standing there and saw that Shehnaaz didn't pay any attention to him.

"Umm...vo...mein aaj yahi so jaun? Mera room bohat garam ho raha hai isliye puch raha hun. Tere room mai hawa achchhi aa rahi hai." He asked hesitantly.

She didn't replied but shifted to one side of the bed making place for him. He felt bad that she didn't replied him. He slept beside her. After some time, he shook her. She turned towards him. She was confused seeing him searching his pockets. Then, he offered her a dairy milk. Seeing the bewildered look on her face he said, "Aaj tera result achcha aaya na. Isliye tere liye laya hun."

She smiled and extended her hand to take it but the smile vanished remembering something. "Mujhe nahi chahiye. Aap kha lena kal." She replied and then she slept turning her back towards him.

The memory of him getting her scolded and slapped by their father just for a chocolate came as a slap in the face when she refused to accept the chocolate from him.

"Papa ji. Papa ji. Dekho isne meri chocolate kha li jo aap mere liye laaye the." Gurvinder complained to his father.

"Nahi nahi. Vo veerji ne kaha unhe nahi khaani isliye kha li thi. Sorry aage se nahi khaungi." Spoke a 9 year old Shehnaaz afraid of her father.

"Iska mann nahi tha kal. Toh aaj khaa leta. Tujhe kisne kaha apna dimag lagane ko." He screamed and slapped her.

She kept sobbing chanting sorry to her brother when her father took Gurvinder to a nearby shop and purchased him a big bar of chocolate. On returning Gurvinder went to Shehnaaz and teased her not understanding how frightened she was from this stupid act of his. She was a kid who hardly understood what crime she committed if she ate his chocolate.

He slept thinking all this. But what he wasn't able to understand was why he was thinking all this.

-------◇◇◇◇◇-------

NOTE : - Namaste everyone. Sorry for being late. And thanks for your response on previous chapters. Keep supporting and help me in improving.
      Tell me one thing honestly. Do you feel the way I am portraying Shehnaaz's life in this book is over dramatic? Do you feel 'Aisa toh kahi nahi hota'?

Is it a plan of Gurvinder or is he really changing?

Did y'all expect this (Gurvinder's sudden change in behaviour) coming next?

Is Gurvinder really bad?

Also, I came across a comment in the previous chapter which asked me not to indulge Gurvinder and Arpita in a romantic setup. Though, I have some plans for these two as the story progresses. What is your say on this Thanks to the reader who talked about this.

{Published on : Tuesday, 3 May 2022}

_________________________________________

Keep Sidharth and his family in your prayers.

Your writer,
Sudhanya