Chapter 5

"Haaye, aapke 2 birthday kaise aate hai. Kya aapke birth certificate mai date alag likhwa rakhi hai", asked a curious Shehnaaz.

It was the next day when Sidharth, Shehnaaz and Arpita were returning from school and Arpita disclosed about her brother's birthday.

"Arey nahi. Jo tu bol rahi hai vaisa bhi hota hai. But with me, this is not the case. Actually, the day I was born na tab uss saal uss din Chaitra Navratri bhi start hui thi. So, my family being religious consider that day as my birthday and for other purposes like school, documents and administration 21st of April is considered as my birthday. Samjhi", he explained.
"Oh! Achha. Aisa kya. Samajh gayi", she replied.
"Tera birthday kab aata hai, baby", he cooed.
She scrunched her nose on the word baby and said, "Mera birthday bhi April mai aata hai."
"Kab aata hai, didu", asked an excited Arpita before Sidharth could ask her.
"Socho, socho", she said with a mischievous smile.
"Abey gadhi. Kya socho. Yaha pe koi insaan probability bhi kaise lagaye. 30 days hote hai April mai", he said hitting her forehead slightly to which she made an angry pout and cocked her eyebrows.
"She looks cute even being angry", he thought.
"Oyye, yeh gadhi kya hota hai. Mai aapko gadhi dikhti hun", she replied to his previous comment.
"Nahi abey. Dikhti toh tu insaan hai par baate teri...", he replied but was interrupted when Shehnaaz put her palms on his mouth with an intention of shutting him. However, in this process she almost dangled on him.
He felt something different. Of course, he would. He was an adolescent. A time when growth spurts and puberty changes, though gradual, are quite evident.
"Ab mein toh sach bol raha hun. Par tujhe mirchi lagi toh mein kya karun", he teased further removing her palm and easing the situation for himself because for the 2 girls nothing was abnormal. One was just 10 and the other one though almost a teenage was too innocent for her age. But he knew his condition.

"Didu, aap chhodo bhaiya toh aise hi chhed rahe hai. Aap birth date batao na", said an excited Arpita.
"Oyye, tu meri behan hai aur flip maar rahi hai. Mai koi lafanga hun jo chhed raha hun. Shareef hun bilkul. Aur aaj tak koi girlfriend bhi nahi banaai hai maine", said Sidharth faking an angry demeanor.
"Haan. Haan. Nahi banaai aapne koi girlfriend aur bade shareef ho na aap. Kal jis tarah aap Beeji ko propose kar rahe the vo kya tha?", said Shehnaaz and then burst out laughing when she saw Sidharth scratching the back of his neck being embarrassed.
On looking her laughing frantically, he was lost in her but then regained his normalcy and said, "Teri toh." She was ready to run to escape from him when she saw him lurching towards her.
Arpita was frustrated by these 2 teenage kiddos and screamed, "Chup. Ek jagah khade raho dono. Bachho ki tarah jhhagad rahe ho."
"Sorry", both said in unison and hugged Arpita.
"Chal kaam ki baat bata. Birthday kab aata hai tera", he said and stopped as they reached Shehnaaz's house.
"21 ko", she said and ran inside her house.

"Arey wah aapka aur didu ka birthday same day ko aata hai. Matlab double celebration aur vo bhi 7 days baad", exclaimed a highly enthusiastic Arpita. They both then proceeded to their house.

After lunch Sidharth and Arpita were doing their home work.
"Aru, kya kar rahi hai bachcha. Isme dekh Cost Price kya hai pen ka?", he asked explaining a sum to her.
"Rs. 10", she replied.
"Very good. Aur Selling Price?", he asked again to which she replied, "Rs. 15."
"Ab yeh bata zyaada kya hai?", he questioned further.
"Rs. 15 matlab Selling Price", she replied.
"Ab yeh question bhul jaa aur yeh bata ki agar mein koi pen banata hun aur usme mere Rs. 10 kharch hote hai. Aur jab mein vo hi pen tujhe Rs. 15 mai sell karta hun, matlab jitna cost mujhe laga isse banane mai uss se zyaada price mai sell karu toh bata mujhe faida hoga yaani profit ya nuksaan yaani loss?", he cross-questioned.
"Aap buddhoo ho kya? Profit hi hoga na agar apne banaya Rs. 10 mai aur becha Rs. 15 mai", she giggled while explaining him.
"Bass mai hi buddhoo hu, baaki intelligent toh tu aur teri didu hi hai. Aur rahi iss question ki baat toh madam aapne hi answer de dia iska", he said making a sad pout.
She tittered and said, "Aap toh bilkul didu jaisa pout banana seekh gaye ho." This remark made him blush unknowingly and he was hugged by Arpita.
"Thank You", she said and kissed his cheek to which he gave a smile.
"Vaise ek aur baat bolu. Aap na Shehnaaz didu ko hi apni girlfriend bana lo. Kitni pyaari hai na vo", said Arpita and left the room as she was done with the day's homework. She didn't realise her simple statement shocked someone. When he realized what if it actually comes out to be true, he just blushed and grinned sneakily.

That night sleep was far away from two souls who were unknowingly coming closer. One was still somewhat aware about this bond, change and feeling and the fuel to this fire was added by Arpita's words. But the other one was still naive and unknown to this. She, however, understood that this bond is something different and she felt more peace with him than her family.

"Mai kya gift dungi Sidharth ko. Mujhe paise hi nahi denge Papaji toh. Amma darr ke maare nahi degi aur Veerji ko pucha toh vo aur daant padwa denge", sobbed Shehnaaz laying on her bed feeling worthless. She had nothing to gift to Sidharth with whom she had smiled in these past few days. She never expected her family to celebrate her birthday as she has by now understood that she was unwanted. Her birthday was just like any other normal day. No wishes, no delicacies, no celebration nothing at all. However, this time she wanted to do something for someone. Someone who made her smile and made her feel protected, loved and wanted. She slept crying with the pillow absorbing her tears.

On the other hand, Sidharth was stuck at what Arpita had told him. Was that possible? Yes, his heart replied but he does not want to rush anything. He will soon turn 15 and he knew this age is vulnerable where feelings come out later but hormones jump in between first. And he doesn't want to spoil anything between them. Also, she was naive to understand all this and he doesn't want her to regret anything in future, if their togetherness was in any way possible.

"Itna toh jaan hi gaya hun ki teri family shayad tujhe tere birthday pe bhi khush nahi karti hogi isliye aaj vo aansun aaye teri aankhon mai. Aur itni jhijhak sirf apni birth date batane mai tab hi aati hai when you don't have good memories of it", he huffed thinking all this.
He was 14 but way to intelligent and smart for his age. He had seen tears in her eyes when she rushed inside her house.
"Koi na, I promise ki yeh birthday tera best birthday hoga ab tak ka", he said to himself in a determined voice and slept with a smile on his face.

-------◇◇◇◇◇-------

NOTE : - So, the next chapter is up for you'll to share your feedbacks. Hope this isn't a disappointment as it was written in a hurry.
     If you feel like, do check my other 2 books, Ehsaas and Safar.

{Published on : - Friday, 31 December 2021}

_________________________________________

Keep Sidharth and his family in your prayers.

Your writer,
Sudhanya