Chapter 16

It was the next day after Shehnaaz's emotional outburst in front of Sidharth. She was doing the household work quietly, not talking to anyone when she heard her father screaming. She went to see what wrong she she done now but was shocked to find that Gurvinder and her father were arguing over something. She stood there hiding behind a pillar to know the reason and was baffled that her brother was against her marriage.

"Papa Ji, nahi yeh toh nahi hone dunga mein. Ek toh vo chhoti hai, dusra harr kisi ke palle nahi bandhna hai usse." Gurvinder said to his father.

"Tu bich mai mat padh iss maamle mai. Mein jaanta hun kya kar raha hu. Abhi se dekhne lagunga tab jaake koi milega jo zyaada dahej ki maang na kare." Kulwant said with a tone of finality.

"Nahi matlab nahi. Aapko kya lagta hai ki aisa kon milega jo uss se abhi shaadi karega. Sab aaj kal padhi likhi bahu-biwi maangte hai, phir bhale hi unko bahar job nahi karne dena ho toh bhi." Gurvinder said as he was reminded of something or maybe someone.

"Padh toh li. Ab aur kya bacha hai?" Kulwant asked perplexed of his son's words.

"Yeh sirf 12th pass hai. Aaj kal 12th pass karna koi teer maarne laayak kaam nahi hai, kam se kam Graduation ya phir Post Graduation toh maangte hi hai ladke wale. Ab auro ka chhodo mujhe khud koi aisi chahiye jo Post Graduation toh kari hui ho." Gurvinder tried to manipulate his father.

"Aur aisa kyu ki kisi bhi ladke ya tujhe padhi likhi ladki chahiye, kaam toh ghar ka hi karna hai na unko?" Kulwant asked his son, wanting to know why he is against Shehnaaz's marriage.

"Dekho papa ji, kyu kya aap ko nahi samjha sakta hun kyuki hum dono alag generation ke hai. Aapke faayde ki baat bass itni hai ki agar zyaada padhi likhi hogi toh aapko dahej kam dena padega. Sochna. " He again tried to trick his father and went to eat something.

Shehnaaz was heartbroken listening to her father and brother's conversation. She thought, "Ek meri shaadi karna chahte hai kyuki mein bojh hu unke liye aur dusra meri shaadi rokna chahta hai taaki ghar se zyaada dahej na dena pade." She quickly went from there to resume her work in kitchen when Gurvinder came there.

"Shehnaaz, sun tera admission karana hai college mai. Toh meri college mai hi padh lio. Aaj mai jakar tera form bharke aata hun. Documents de dena tere." Gurvinder said to Shehnaaz drinking a glass of water. She didn't reply but just nodded. Gurvinder found it strange and asked her if something is bothering her. She still didn't reply and shook her head.

"Kya hai, kabse puch raha hun koi problem hai par nahi apan toh muh mai dahi jama ke beithe hai. Abhi abhi tere liye papa ji se baat kar ke aaya hun ki teri shaadi abhi na karwaye. Lekin tujhe kya padi hai." He shouted on her irritated by her lack of response.

Still she did not utter a word and in rage he caught her arms painfully tight which brought tears in her eyes. He was unaffected by her pain and said, "Mat bol kuch. Mar jaa ke kahi." He then left her with a jerk and went out.

Shehnaaz stood there not bothered by her brother's behaviour as she was used to it. But still she cannot believe that he favoured her against their or to be precise his father. Even previously when such arguments happened Gurvinder would ultimately agree to what his father said but this time he didn't. She did not knew the reason but was relieved that maybe for his own benefit her father would let her study.

She completed her work and then rushed to Sidharth's house to tell him about this incident. He listened to her and a smile adorned his face. She asked him the reason of his smile but he said nothing. Still she forced him to tell her so he replied, "Kayi baar apni soch side mai rakh kar jisko kaabu mai laana hai uski soch se sochna padta hai."

"Matlab?" asked a confused Shehnaaz.
"Kuch nahi sweetheart. Just be ready. Same college mai apna admission hoga. Bass ek kaam kar jab tera vo bhai tera college form fill karwa de na uske baad mujhe vo application form aur tere documents de dio." Sidharth said to which she didn't ask a single question but nodded.

The next day she did as Sidharth told her. Though she was confused but still she trusted him more than her family, mother excluded.

Few weeks later when the merit list of college was declared Shehnaaz's name wasn't there despite the fact that she scored 94% in her Class XII. The reason was that while filling the form the percentage uploaded was 64% instead of 94%.

Kulwant was furious because one year would be wasted and then he had to wait for one more year to marry her off. He was angry with Gurvinder's negligence. Gurvinder tried to prove himself innocent by saying that he filled it correctly and asked Shehnaaz to show the application form. When Shehnaaz showed the form, Gurvinder was baffled with the incorrect information being uploaded. He couldn't speak much as he had nothing to prove himself right. Also, he hadn't taken Shehnaaz with him to the cyber cafe to put all the blame on her.

Kulwant even bashed Shehnaaz for not checking the details after Gurvinder returned but she kept mum. She does not like to live with these people and is waiting to leave with her mother once she gets a job. But for that she needs to study and right now her graduation was at stake. However, she was confused as the application form that she gave to Sidharth along with her documents had the correct percentage. She decided to ask him only.

-------◇◇◇◇◇-------

NOTE : - Namaste everyone. I won't give any excuses for being late. Read and tell me the areas of improvement.
           Also, I believe abhi aap sabhi k ek haath mai jhaadu aur ek haath mai pauncha hoga. Sab lage huye ho na safai mai.😂🤭

Why Gurvinder favoured Shehnaaz's education by going against his father? Was it because he has become good or due to someone's influence?

Why Sidharth took Shehnaaz's documents?

How did Shehnaaz's percentage change in her application form? (Even she is doubtful.🤭)

{Published on : Sunday, 9 October 2022}

_________________________________________

Keep Sidharth and his family in your prayers.

Your writer,
Sudhanya.