Chapter 18

* Violent content ahead. Skip if you are not comfortable.

Sudha, Sidharth, Shehnaaz and Kulwant were in the train heading towards their destination, Delhi. Ravindra did not come with Sidharth as he is still upset with him. This time Sidharth did not request his father to come along with him. He asked his mother if she could come or else he will go by himself. Sudha agreed to come with him as she knew that Ravindra is going far with his stubbornness. She loves his son and would not follow her husband blindly.

"Maa, yeh lo paani ki bottle. Apni tablet lo abhi." Sidharth told her.

Shehnaaz looked at his mother and then at Sidharth. She felt bad for him. He loves his father but for his father his ego was bigger than his love for his son.

She came out of her thoughts when she heard Sudha asking her to give her purse, "Shehnaaz beta, mera purse de de ab. Usme meri tablet bhi hai. Yeh maanega nahi jab tak iske saamne na le lun mein tablet."

"Lo aunty" saying this she came forward and gave her the purse. She took the bottle from Sidharth's hand and told him, "Mein de dungi. Aap beith jaao." He followed what she said.

They reached Delhi and both headed towards the college. Kulwant was shocked seeing Sudha book a cab for them and walking ahead of him with no fear and confidence.

On reaching the college, both Sidharth and Shehnaaz did the formalities and paid the fees. They then went to see the house where they will be staying.

It was a 3BHK apartment. Along with it was a small store room. There lived an old couple who are retired from the bank service. They have a daughter who is living in the U.S. along with her husband.

The couple showed them 2 rooms for Sidharth and Shehnaaz which has attached washroom and told them that they could use the vacant store room as kitchen.

Sudha and Kulwant agreed as the rent was nominal. Also, it became pocket friendly as they both shared the same kitchen.

Kulwant was also happy as he thought that the old couple will keep a watch on Shehnaaz.

Two days later.

Kulwant is in bad mood as from few days his shop is not making much profit. To add to the expenses is the study and stay of Shehnaaz in Delhi.

When Kulwant reached home in the evening, Reet brought a glass of water for him. Gurvinder came and sat beside him. The elder Gills had gone out to attend a satsang at neighbour's house.

She then said "Suniye aap kuch paise de dete toh mein kal Shehnaaz ke 1-2 jodi kapde le aati. College jaayegi ab vo toh uske kapde kam padegen. Uske paas bahar pehan ne laayak 5 jodi kapde hai."

Kulwant was infuriated on listening this as now he has to spend more money on Shehnaaz.

"Toh kya karun? Khud ko bech dun. Vaise bhi aaj kal dukaan itni achchhi nahi chal rahi hai aur upar se uss ladki ke nakhre aur uthaao. Vahan bhej ke padha raha hun vo bhi majburi hai meri." He screamed frightening Reet. 

On listening to his screams, Shehnaaz came down. Kulwant, on seeing her, became enraged and caught her hands and slapped her hard. He kept slapping her until Reet interfered and released her from his grip. Shehnaaz was hell scared. She don't know why she is being slapped. But Kulwant was nowhere near to stop today. He as always tried to frame Shehnaaz for all the bad that is happening. He dragged Shehnaaz to her room and started hitting with a stick. This time Reet caught his leg and begged him to stop. He pushed the mother and daughter away and left the house in anger. Gurvinder did not utter a word during the whole time, nor did he try to stop his father. Somewhere he was also frightened on seeing this side of his father.