Chapter 14

Shehnaaz was waiting for Sidharth to get ready for the Republic Day function. Sidharth joined the NCC in IX standard. Gurvinder followed his footsteps, but it became a big issue when Shehnaaz wanted to join NCC. She was told by her father that it is not meant for girls and had abused her verbally for raising such a demand. Sidharth tried his best to make them understand that even girls can join it and even Arpita will join when she will reach in IX standard. But her father was firm with his decision. He didn't allow her. She had cried a lot when alone and in her mother's embrace. But nothing could be done. She wasn't allowed and was also threatened to discontinue her education. For the first time she saw Sidharth's eyes moist as he was helpless.

Shehnaaz wanted to join the NCC not because she knew much about it or it was her dream. It was because Sidharth joined it. One may take it as her foolishness but for her it wasn't. She wanted to follow someone who would never wish something ill for her. Also, when she has no idea about the world as she has been told that her world was the kitchen and home, it was more preferable to follow Sidharth as he has always wished the best for her.

Shehnaaz wore the beret cap of the NCC uniform and was admiring herself looking in the mirror. Sidharth came out of the bathroom dressed up for the parade when he saw Shehnaaz with the cap. He went towards her and spoke, "Sorry Shehnaaz. I tried my best but nahi samjha paya tere papa ko. But I promise ki college main pakka NCC join karwaunga."

She replied, "Aap kyu sorry bol rahe hai. Aapki koi galti nahi thi. Mujhe pata tha yahi hona tha. Aur aap college main mujhe NCC join karwane ke sapne dekh rahe hai. Abhi toh yeh hi nahi pata ki mein college bhi jaaungi ya nahi."

"Tu pagal hai aisa kuch nahi hoga. Ek toh tujhe NCC mai join na karwa paane ka pehle hi mujhe bohat guilt hai aur tu yeh sab aur bol rahi hai." He spoke sternly.

"Kya aap NCC ki ratt laga kar beith gaye hain. Yeh lijiye tayyar ho jaayiye jaldi." She said trying to divert his mood and adjusted the cap on his head. He had to sit as her hands couldn't reach till his head.

"Sun meri baat dhyaan se agar iss baar tere papa ne kuch kara na toh bhaga ke le jaaunga tujhe apne saath." He said seriously and moved out of his room. She followed him with a flushed face. They didn't needed words to express what they felt for each other since they met. Whatever it is has only increased with time.

As they proceeded out of his house along with Arpita, Gurvinder joined them. He has taken admission in Panjab University. But since it was Republic Day function he decided to visit the school.

Gurvinder looked pissed when he returned back from school. He had an argument with Arpita. She has grown into a beautiful girl and was studying in IX standard. This thought made him smile but what he saw in school turned him angry again.

A boy who was her classmate praised her for her graceful dance performance and she seemed so happy with it. It boiled Gurvinder's blood and when he asked her to stay away from that boy she countered him by telling not to indulge in her matters.

He likes her so much despite the fact that she says whatever comes to her mind to him. She argues and fights with him. But still over the years he has started liking her. This liking was a secret from everyone, including Arpita. Till the time he was in school he kept an eye over her but as he passed out of the school and took admission in Panjab University, the fear that someone else may also like and propose her made him uneasy. And today he saw her enjoying the attention when others were praising her.

Shehnaaz went to her parent's room and knocked the door. "Aajao andar." Kulwant said in a loud voice. She entered and Kulwant turned his face on looking her.

"Papa ji. Vo kal mujhe board ki fees jama karwani thi." She said nervously with her eyes downcast.

He searched for his wallet, pulled out a few notes and gave her. "Yeh le. Aur kuch?"

She shook her head and was leaving the room but saw her father's pained expressions. She still was somewhere hopeful that he would love her.

"Kya hua papa ji. Aapke kahi dard hai kya? Mein daba deti hun." She enquired. He told her that his legs were paining. She sat their and started pressing his feet. After some time, she left the room.

During dinner, Sidharth told his father that he needed money to submit his board fees. And with that started the same old argument that being a boy he chose Humanities as his stream. This was an everyday taunt by his father to him. He wanted his son to take Science but he was stubborn who defied these stupid standards set by people.

"Baba, mujhe kal apni board fees jama karwani hain." He told not looking into his eyes. It hurts him to be taunted everyday for something which is not a crime. Also, his father, though not bad, was never an ideal father. He never spent time with him when he was a kid. He never talked to him as he was growing up. But still he loves his father as he supported him despite their arguments. But nowadays he was unhappy with his son's choice and always taunting making him feel like a criminal.

"Haan haan. Le jaana kal paise. Vaise bhi yeh paise sirf waste hi ho rahe hain. Itna intelligent ho kar Arts hi leni thi toh faayda hi kya. Kon naukri pe rakhega tujhe. Aur rakh bhi lia toh kitna hi kama lega. Mujhe hi dekh Commerce lia tha phir bhi government job nahi lagi. Private main kaam kar raha hun. Aur dekh le kaam ke chakkar main mujhe yaha Sohana (S.A.S. Nagar) aana pada apne Maharashtra ko chhod kar." His father taunted.

He sighed and left the table leaving his food unfinished. Sudha felt bad and said, "Aap khaana toh khaane dete bachche ko. Ab vo phir bhukha so jaayega."

"Maine khaana khaane ko mana nahi kia hai. Tumhare laadle ke nakhre hi bohat zyaada hai. Ek hadd tak bachcha samajh ke seh leta tha. Par ab dekho kaise khud hi usne khud ki zindagi barbaad ki hai Arts le ke." He replied. Sudha shook her head in disbelief and left the place with a plate of food for Sidharth. Aasha kept quite whereas Arpita felt bad. Aasha has changed a little in these years. She wasn't the same but not evil.

-------◇◇◇◇◇-------

NOTE : - Namaste everyone. I know I am late but I am busy with my college. I don't know when I have my exams but hopefully in July. And as you all know, Sagar jitna course hai. Padh nadi jitna paate hai. So busy with swimming in this nadi.🤪

Also, pehle hi bata deti hun. Gurvinder- Arpita ki chinta mat karna. I assure you kuch galat nahi hoga.

Have you met people who have mixed gender norms in subjects/studies?

Do you feel it was wrong for a boy to choose Arts/Humanities as his stream?

Will Kulwant ever love Shehnaaz?

{Published on : Saturday, 28 May 2022}

_________________________________________

Keep Sidharth and his family in your prayers.

Your writer,
Sudhanya.