E I G H T

Rylan

I do not have siblings. Especially not brothers- multiple brothers. My mom wouldn't have kept that from me. She wouldn't. She wasn't a liar like that.

'No that can't be right, I don't have siblings. No, there must be a mistake. My mother would've told me otherwise.' I wrote on the notepad I still have. I urgently showed her my response to show she's in the wrong.

She carefully read it and lightly laughed. "On no honey, you are definitely related. I have proof right here, look..." Jess handed me a short stack of files. Blood tests, fingerprints, birth certificates, etc...

I was hesitant to admit that she was right and I was wrong.

I hummed, corrected. My eyes found the ground easily, I was a tad sad. I was lied to. I've been in the dark about this for my whole life and been oblivious to it. My father surely knew too, I mean my so called siblings are his, right? See why I'm sad? This is all too much, in a short period of time. So overwhelming. I despise not knowing and others not telling me anything.

-

Three fucking hours. Three!! How long do I have to sit here for? My bottom went numb, at least, two hours and forty-five minutes ago. I eventually came to lay across two metal chairs. And let me tell you, that shît was not comfortable at all. I think I dented my back. My bruises and throat still got no better; same goes for that pathetic cold I have.

My pillow was my bag with no blanket to keep the inevitable cold off of my goosebump covered skin. Officer Jess gave me plenty of water in plastic cups and sympathetically apologised that the station had no vending machines. I was starving, having not eaten for a couple days but I wasn't one to depend on others to fulfill my needs. I'd just wait until I found somewhere suitable to ask for some later. Or go without.

The heavy, steel police station entrance and exit door swung open. A gastly gust of chilly November air, hit me full force, sending my body into an uncontrollable fit of shivers. I daren't look up, feeling the exhaustion catch up to me from having a late night tonight. It was nearly- well after midnight, the next day had started and it did not feel like it.

A deep voice was what I heard and then Officer Jess's. They talked for a second before their voices faded away into Jess's office. It didn't occur to me then that that could've been one of my siblings. I had deprived myself of sleep too long however this unfamiliar place brought me no comfort in thinking I'm safe to shut my eyes for awhile.

I blinked my eyes open, roughly rubbing at them with tight fists. I still had a little bit of sleep in my eyes even if I didn't actually sleep. It could've just been dried up tears. Or maybe I did sleep and I couldn't remember because I was unconscious. I don't even know anymore.

Looking around, my eyes settled on a certain figure. From the back, his- I presume- clothes looked fancy. The long, black trench coat hanging from his back stood out like a sore thumb and the dark dress pants clinging to his legs seemed expensive. Who is he?

After half an hour, the two returned to the main reception. A load of paperwork sat in Jess's hands as she placed them on the counter top. She smiled at the man and he smiled back. Maybe he's a nice man? Looks can deceive you.

Officer Jess and the man exchanged words then he turned to face me. I averted my eyes, feeling intimadated.

-