T H I R T Y - N I N E

"Have a good day, sweetheart." Angelo motioned for me to come closer to him in the car. I lean forward and he kisses my forehead. "Make sure you eat your lunch and work hard."

"It's work smart, not hard." I smile at him, and he laughs back.

"Of course it is. Bye Bella." I wave goodbye and shut the door. Eliza waves me over from across the car lot.

"Hey! I missed you so much!"

"We saw each other less than twenty-four hours ago." I deadpan.

"Er, so what? Can I not miss my best friend?" I shrug with a smile. 'Best friend'. It's been a while since I've had one.

"Come on, I want to put these heavy books away before first period." Eliza follows me to my locker, and then we go to hers. We get to class on time and settle down when the teacher arrives.

The first few lessons go by fast and before I know it, Eliza and I are eating chocolate outside in the cold. She brought two chocolate bars and gave one to me. In her words, she said: "I have way too much birthday chocolate than I know what to do with." I wish.

"As nice as this is, all it's giving me long term is acne." She says, laughing when I suddenly stop eating mid-bite.

"Really?" I didn't know this.

"Uh huh." She deadpans. "Wait," She stops when she realises I'm not laughing. "You didn't know that?" I shake my head. "Do you cleanse your face regularly?" I repeat the action.

"Oh my gosh! You need to listen very closely, Isabelle."

"Isabella."

"Hush- Now child, take a seat in my office and I shall inform you of everything you need to know about skincare." Eliza pulled me down onto an icy bench, babbling away as I took notes.

I have so much to buy!

-

"How was school, Bells?" Angelo picks me up nearly every day, sometimes Luca. I like it when my eldest brother does because he lets me choose the music on the ride home.

"It went by really quick but Eliza talked me into buying all these different cleansing products. I think I have enough saved." I say the last part to myself, glancing at my best friend getting into her brothers car down the lot.

"That's no problem, darling. Money isn't a worry for us so I'll pay. Just send me what you need." He takes one hand from the steering wheel and gives my leg a squeeze.

"Are you sure? They're not cheap." He smiles and nods his head. I guess that's that then.

It's then I realise Romeo isn't here. "He got a ride from a friend; he said he'd be home later tonight." My face shows suprise and I nod in understanding.

When we park up at home, I rush to get inside as the weather turned sour quickly on the drive back. Ange unlocks the door, pushing me inside. "God, it's freezing. I don't know how you kids keep warm with no coats on." I grimace. I always wear my coat so he shouldn't be directing that at me.

"Where's Bear?" Normally, my doggie comes running to me but I don't hear him. My heart rate elevates a little as I hear a loud bark coming from the yard.

"I don't know. I've been at work all day, babe." Angelo walks to the kitchen and I follow; eager to find out why Bear is barking. He doesn't bark unless I'm seizing.

"Bear?" I see Elijah messing around with the dog, playing fetch in the cold air. Why? It's so icy out there.

"He's here, Bella!" I'm glad I didn't take off my gloves in the car or my coat because I can just walk outside to say hello to my boy.