T H I R T Y - O N E

"Good morning, sweetheart. How are we feeling today?" Is the first thing I hear coming into the lounge. I'm still a bit groggy from sleep, and or the pills.

"Tired." Is all I say, and plop down on the couch directly infront of the television. I grab a cushion and hug it to my chest as I watch the news being displayed.

"Would you like some breakfast?" Elijah asked.

"No thank you," I closed my eyes in an attempt to get a minutes more sleep but no, a girl can't even get that. I sensed someone behind me.

"Come on, sweetheart. You've got to eat something." I shook my head still. "I know that medication must've tired you out last night, but it'd be good to get some nutrients in you, don't you think? Make you big and strong." I'm not a kid, he does know that right? 'Big and strong?' Who does he think I am?

I didn't reply, only laying down further into the couch. My head kind hurts.

"I'll just get you some juice then, that's something." He disappeared into the kitchen. The next brother to greet me this morning was Romeo and when I say greet, I actually mean ignoring my existence.

I didn't bother starting a conversation after saying hello and getting no reply so he just sat there, watching the screen too. He looked as if he wanted to say something but was hesitant.

"Out with it already." I said exhasperated with my eyes closed, knowing he had a scowl on his face.

He sighed but continued anyway, "What's- what's your favourite book?" Is he for real? No recognition of me for days and this is what he says?

"W-What?" I sat up, yes too quickly, and blinked at him. Romeo rolled his eyes.

"I asked what your favourite book was." He repeated, a little too sassily for my liking.

Still caught off guard by the question, he grew impatient. "You don't have to ignore me, if you don't want to say anything just tell me!" He has some serious anger issues. I cower away from him just a bit because his face is scary when mad.

"I-" He stormed off and Elijah came back in the room.

"Here," I idly drank the juice as he eyed me. "What's up with Romeo?" Did he hear that?

"I'm not s-sure.." I avert my eyes as an awkward aroma settles around us.

He nods, "I wanted to have a quick talk, if that's okay?" I hesitate but slowly nod, knowing I have to do as he says.

"So," He gulps, "Those scars on you're back- I need to ask, what happened?" My heart freezes. I was hoping he'd forget but why would he? Those marks and cuts aren't normal, maybe for me, but others, no.

"It's nothing," Obviously, who am I trying to fool here? I don't even believe myself; how could my brother. He can see right through me.

"It's not nothing, Isabella. This is serious, you're lucky I saw them when I did. If I didn't, the wounds would be horribly infected." He tried to near me on the couch but I scooted further into the corner of it. "You don't have to be afraid, you can tell me."

Tears welled up in my eyes at the thought of the cause of my pain. It was more evident now that I had time to think about it. "I-I can't," I whispered as if someone was listening and I'd get caught.

Elijah smiled softly and eventually sat right next to me. "You can." He emphasised. "Of course you can, sweetheart. Nothing bad will happen if you tell me. I can keep it a secret, I promise." But I don't want to tell him. I don't want him to find out about the abuse and the beatings and the starvation and the painful words and memories.