Chapter 32

I'm the kind of person who has so much to speak about. To rant about. To scream about. Yet, I always keep my mouth shut; because I'm afraid my words might harm someone or my thoughts might be invalid. 

But, more often than not, I wish I could speak these thoughts out. 

Sometimes, I wish there was someone out there who's open enough to hear me out. To agree with my knotted opinion. To fuel my fire. To smile with my words.

Sometimes, I wish there was someone out there who will have the time to listen to my out-of-the-blue impressions, my darkest rants, and my careless opinion; would look me in the eyes and would say, "It's okay, your thoughts are valid."

Then I met Vivienne, the cute little girl who smashed a frying pan into my face, and all my wishes were granted.

"Good morning po," I greeted for the nth time. When everyone was still not responding, I chuckled. They have been staring at me for a while now. I cleared my throat and offered my hand, "Liam Acosta po."

I chuckled again as I watch them just look at my hand. I was about to speak again when I heard someone behind my back shout, "Ano ba kayo?! Kaaga-aga nagkukumpulan kayo r'yan! Tama na ang tsismisan at magsikilos na kayo! Bababa na sina Sir maya-maya!"

"Manang!" impit na sigaw ng isang babae na tila sinasaway ay matandang babae.

"Teresa, naihain na ba lahat ng pagkain sa hapag? Noresa, gisingin at ayusan mo na si Vi—" the old lady stopped from what she was saying when she saw me.

I smiled at her and slightly bowed my head. "Good morning po."

"Sino ka?"

I heard chuckles coming from the ladies beside me so I chuckled, too. "Liam Acosta po."

"'Yung bisita, Manang."

"Pogi, Manang, 'no? Hihi."

 "Mag-English ka, Manang. Spokening dollars 'yan."

"Ay, hijo, ikaw pala 'yan—"

"English, Manang!"

I immediately shook my head. It's crazy how people easily assume that I only speak and understand the English language. Although I wasn't that good in speaking Tagalog, marunong naman akong umintindi ng mga salitang iyon kahit papaano. My dad taught me and mom how. 

"I can understand... at marunong din po akong magsalita ng Tagalog."

"Mabuti naman dahil pinagpapawisan na ako!" biro ni Manang that's why I chuckled. "Liam, ano?" I nodded. "Ako si Terentina, mayordoma ako rito. Matagal na 'kong naninilbihan sa mga Amontillado..."

I quietly listened as Manang Terentina gives details about her long service to the Amontillados. She also introduced their kasamahin, 'yung mga taong kasama nila sa mansyon. I prefer calling them kasamahin because it sounds more right.

We're in the middle of a delightful discussion when Mrs. Haidee Amontillado came. She's the wife of Mr. Steven Amontillado, the chairman of Amontillado Construction and Engineering Services (ACES).

I need experience as a field engineer so I planned to have labor work under an engineering company. My dream is to be a part of ACES because they're the leading engineering firm here in the Philippines. Fortunately, I was invited to a conference involving ACES and that's when Mr. Steven Amontillado started to recognize me. I didn't know that mom and most of the Baudelaires were major shareholders of ACES until I was recognized by some people on the board of directors.

Mr. Steven Amontillado had a background check on me as well as my performance and class standing in the program I am taking. Perhaps, I wowed him that's why he even offered me to stay in the comfort of their home so that he could assist me well as I do labor work for the duration of my college years.