Chapter 5: Battle Of Saumur

The sky grew overcast over Gibraltar. The warm weather streamlined in between buildings and roads to a more isolated part of the region. The small semi-rundown building was overlooked by the taller buildings around the area of land.

Standing in front of the team who were lounging on sofas pleased with the outcome of the recent mission; The Man spoke to them all.

"Good work with your mission in that navy base, the Germans don't seem to be that concerned about the French port there. It buys time for negotiations with France, hopefully, it goes well," He raises his glass of beer, the others follow in a small cheer.

John impatiently asks, "So, what's next?"

The Man replies, "Bad news I'm afraid if there was a chance of the French pushing back the Germans, it's gone. Intelligence predicts that the Germans are heading towards Saumur, they'll probably arrive there on the 18th."

Jules sits up in a perfect posture, "That's a day away!"

Oliver stood up, "Wait, the Hell are we doing here then?"

The Man calmly replies, "We had to make arrangements, it is all prepared now. We leave in an hour's time. You'll make it there."

Juels asks, "What's our goal? To defeat the Panzers bulldozing their way through France?"

"No, there is a POI there. He is refusing to leave, thinks France can still be saved. Your mission is to find him and pull him out of there. Drag him if you have to. His name is Luca Randev. One of about 2,500 men there."

Juels questioned, "What resources do we have with us?"

"Your normal guns and grenades and whatever else you require the French have there. Devil's Ace will also be flying round the clock providing reliable air support; the French planes are running low on everything."

The 4 men chugged down the last drop of beer slamming it onto the table. They walked out the door with The Man following in large strides after gently 

Not long before, they were on the next military flight over. Devil's Ace slept through the troubling turbulence. Foretelling John in his rough dreams and horrid nightmares. Tires screeched the ground, slow release of smoke rose to the windows. Oliver opened his eyes wide as the plane came to a halt.

"Right guys!" He yelled startling Devil's Ace awake, "We don't have long before the Germans reach Saumur."

"Right," Devil's Ace said as he yawned awake, "My plane is around here somewhere. I'll fly overhead almost constantly. Granted the Germans let easy on the flak."

John, Oliver, and Juels drove an abandoned car to the battle sight, not too far away. As they arrived there, an obstreperous mess waited for them. Oliver and John got out of the car to find the whereabouts of Luca, Juels was requested to move the car into a more defendable position to allow a machine gun position as well as a barricade.

John and Oliver went to the command center. The concatenation of the outside was only a portion of the mess inside. Men walking around back and forth, papers collapsing to the floor, and with the occasional quake of shells slamming into the ground, Oliver saw it best to find where Luca was himself. Shuffling through papers, a woman walked over to him.

"What are you looking for?" She quickly asked, her voice quivering.

"A soldier, Luca Randev"

"Look on the island, I heard he is helping to set machine gun positions." She replied before rushing away for a more urgent task.

Oliver and John met up with Juels as they walked to the island in the center of the Loire river as a shell slammed into a building. Crumbling building onto the road.