Chapter 32: More Than A Half-Penny

Anker arrived late, The Man was facing a board, his arms crossed behind his back. John gave a slight nod at him, Juels just stared blankly.

The room was relatively small, dark and static. A weird hue was in the room, Anker took a seat in a metal chair, facing the metal table. The dark slate grey tiles echoed his footsteps and the sound of his chair scooting.

Juels finally broke his statue state, to light a cigarette. He looked at Anker with fleeting despair, his sorrowful eyes and straight mouth gave it all.

The Man spoke, "He's dead..." He turned to look at them, "But his death will not be in vain. Operation Ant, Phinox-plan, and of course, weapon Z. 3 major plans that the Nazis have that we know nothing about, not until today."

John questioned, "How close are we to decoding it?"

"We only just got the intelligence," The Man responded, "This chap Alan Turing and his team was sent a copy not too long ago. They probably have the best shot at figuring out what the Nazis have in store."

Juels took a puff of his cigarette, "I have a suspicion this meeting is to do with Weapon Z, or Waffe U as the Germans would call it. Am I correct?"

"Yes, if the propaganda is to be believed, the Germans will have their iron grip around the isle. And... I believe them. If what you saw in the Pacific with the Japanse was as dangerous as you make it seem like, how far fetched is it that the Nazis aren't themselves developing such a weapon."

"So," Anker took a sip of water, "What do you want us to do?"

"There are some POI in the Pacific, with their help, you will be investigating the Japanese activities more. It is purely recognisance, better if you don't kill anyone."

Juels questioned, "When are we leaving?"

"In a couple of days, Anker's leg should have healed up enough by then."

"It's probably going to take a week," Anker objected, "I have personal stuff to take care of."

"This isn't how it works, you do what you are ordered to. You can't just go anywhere you want to go. You'll get court marshalled."

"Good thing I don't want to do this. Juels, I will be paying Andrzej's wife a visit. You coming?"

"I have personal stuff to do as well," He chuckled as he too got up from his chair and started to head out.

The Man looked at John, "Well, guess I too have personal stuff to deal with."

The three men walked out leaving The Man in awe as he stood in the room alone. Not even done with the meeting he decided to make a couple of phone calls.

The train Anker took to West of London took longer than expected, but a day and a bit later he arrived at the small town. Not too far from the capital itself. Day broke as he in his polished and nicely fitted uniform began to walk to his destination. A proper officer's outfit with his belt tight, and his boots held up high. He saw the blood pressure of women rise and fall with each clack of his walking stick as he walked past. Anxious about the possibility of heartbreaking news.

He walked up to Andrzej's house near the end of the street, the weather grew sour as the wind picked up slightly. Each step on the gravel brought back his final moments. He came to the door, and with a breath, he gave a knock. He squeezed his walking stick tightly.

The door opened moments later, and Anker took off his hat. He was met by a beautiful woman, trapped in grey. She had the straightest of faces, she stood there waiting for him to speak.

"Szanowna Pani, jestem pewien-"

"I already got the letter," She interrupted, "And you don't have to speak in Polish."

She went to shut the door but Anker's foot got in the way. She stared at him.

"Ma'am, please."

"Alright then," Delora left the door as she walked into her kitchen.

Anker following her closed the door. He looked at her; her sweet little eyes glistened in the soft sunlight.

"Usually, an officer would come to say stuff like: hero, or brave, or honour. But-"

"I know that already, didn't need a war to know it."

"Exactly, and I'm no officer, I'm his closest friend carrying out one of his final wishes. A personal message to you, to be happy."

"Of course that was it," She chuckled slightly.

"Delora, if you need any help," He gave a piece of paper to her containing a certain address, "I'll be there, and so will his closest friends. We owe him that."

"Thank you," Her eyes watered a bit, "This was better than that letter from the king, and the horseshit it was written on."

"I think he knew that the half-penny's response from a prewritten script wasn't sufficient enough, not for you."

"Dziękuję Panu,"

"Tylko Anker."

"Dziękuję ci Anker."

He nodded as he walked outside, to the sun peeping through the clouds. Commanding for the rain to stop. He put his hat back on, and walked at a steady pace with his walking stick, mentally preparing himself for punishment that is to come.