Chapter 26: "Raise The Flag"

All lines spoken in this chapter are in-universe Russian

Gand informed, "We could do with more Sir."

"Do you need more?"

"No Sir."

"Then you'll be okay, move!"

The lieutenant's group began to move out, from building to building. Maxim whistled to Gand's group.

"Hey," He threw a spare clip, "Hope this helps."

"Thanks."

The 8 soldiers began to move across the terrain on foot. Their boots wearing away with each step. Moving from house to house, pile of rubble by pile of rubble they trekked across Stalingrad to reach their destination. So close, yet so far. 

Sti commented, "Are we not are on a time crunch? Could we move any faster?"

"Want to get spotted by Germans?" Gand replied as he looked around before giving the signal to move.

Luk silently spoke to Gand, "He has a point, we only have air support for a limited amount of time."

"Well," Gand glanced at Luk with a smirk, "I'd rather not face a Panzer."

Luk looked around the graveyard streets splurged with crumbled buildings, "Tanks aren't effective here. Anyways, we destroyed most of them."

Suddenly, Gand halted the group. 

"Footsteps," He whispered.

Luk signalled the group to follow him as they crept to a nearby destroyed factory. Gand stayed near a long lost apartment behind some sofas. Slowly, a platoon of German soldiers also crept by, using the remains of carnage as cover. Eventually, however, they left with no interference.

The soldiers regrouped.

"Close call," Gand whispered with a sigh of relief, "Let's keep moving."

They trudged across, the impaling cold transfixed underneath their skin; yet they managed to go to their required location without further disturbances. 

Setting up in a half-blown apartment that was severely shot into pieces, they awaited for the German group to come by into the crosshairs of their ambush. Dimitn, Danil, and Alina climbed to the top, covered in blankets and rags they laid low with their snipers pointing across the street. A car sat in the middle, its windows caved in and its metallic structure crumbling through time.

A downed Mark III H was innumerable holes of all sizes plunged into its side and back. Its tracks were jammed in mouthfuls of rubble.

Danil whispered, "Downed tank, what do you think caused it?"

Dimitm responded, "A German tank, what else?"

Disagreeing, Alina suggested, "Probably infantry. Armour is pretty shit around here."

"How's that possible?" Dimitm asked as he looked ahead in the street.

"Panzerschreck probably."

"Or a Panzerfäust, heard those things are terrifying," added Danil.

In a loud whisper, "Get to positions," Gand commanded the group.

The other 5 soldiers scurried around the rubble, Olga hid in a watch and clock store, its contents long gone or damaged. He crouched behind a counter, being the only one with a PPSH, he had to time his actions just right.

Luk pulled out his only grenade and clutched onto it, refusing to pull the pin and throw it until the time was perfect. Small studs of gunfire echoed in the distance, he looked up to see a plane knock out another plane in the sky just before it was targeted by AA fire.

He breathed in, and out. Pulling the pin he waited for 2 seconds before throwing it as far as he could into the German group. The grenade bounced and rolled in the snow and suddenly froze in place; boom!

Fragments and metal bits flung across the air, their unstoppable path slicing through the Nazis as the shockwave kicked up the snow.

Olga jumped from his position and let loose his lead. His gun rattled like a snake and bit like a lion as it tore through the Nazis. Dimitn fired a round, it skimmed past the air striking a German as his left rib; Danil finished him off. Gand fired his shot right into the throat of the enemy as Sti left his cover aiming for a German taking refuge behind the car. The bullet pinged off the metal frame, sending it to rouge in an unknown direction. The soldier fired back, his bullet barely missing Sti. Luk finished the Nazi off as Aityum shot the downed tank.

"There's more behind that tank!" He yelled.

Olga attempted to gun them down but was shot in the stomach. He collapsed onto the forbidding pavement in pain. Sti walked towards the tank, gun held high as he waited for a head to pop out. One did, Sti was too slow as the men fired their rounds. The German felt metal fragments pop out onto his cheek. A bullet landed into Sti's arm, he gasped in pain.

Luk signalled for Gand to go right as he went left. Aityum followed Luk as they inched closer to the tank. Olga stepped out of the shop and went with Gand. 

"WAIT!" A German shouted, "Wir geben auf!"

Rifles were thrown in the air, as a small dirty rag, barely white stretched out. A man, clearly the leader of the final remaining soldiers stepped out. Soon the 4 others joined their hands high in the air.

"Gand," Luk spoke, "What do we do?"

"W-"

Suddenly, 3 simultaneous shots rang out killing 3 Germans, Olga upon reaction fired his fierce gun, sending lead into the remaining men.

Gand looked up at the snipers, his face in rage and his mouth speechless, "What the fuck!?"

"Did your job for you!" Dimitin yelled back.

"They surrendered!"

Aityum rushed to Sti to help with his wound as the soldiers yelled.

"We couldn't keep them prisoner you know!" Alina yelled back, "What were we supposed to do? Let them go and tell others about our position?"

"I didn't give any order, that's the problem!"

"Guys, remember the mission, we need to raise the flag," Luk reminded.

Gand nodded at him as he took out his red flag and held it up high. Danil reloaded his rifle before checking the surrounding area for any more Nazis.

Gand held his flag but nothing happened, he looked at Luk, "Isn't something supposed to happen?"

"Maybe the other group is still busy?"

"What if the other group is dead?" Aityum worryingly asked.

"Doubt it," Gand pointed at the sky, "Our planes are going to do their run. They made it."

3 planes circled the sky as they got into a run, the first came too early, yet the other two hit perfectly at their target. The chugging of guns ran across the sky, as the building puffed out smoke. The planes flew overhead them, their engines roaring across the empty sky.

Gand smiling, put away the flag and ordered, "Alright, let's hit them hard!"