Chapter 25: "Almost Forgot We're In A War"

All lines spoken by the characters are in-universe Russian

Maxim laid upon the jagged stone and brick. He looked towards his left, Vova was flat on the snow, aiming down his scope. Towards his left, Kira was fumbling with her spare ammunition as she hid behind a half-collapsed wall.

Maxim spoke to them, "How are you on ammunition?"

"Twenty," Vova replied, he placed 2 of his clips next to him.

"Uh, wait," Kira fidgeted with her bullets, "I should be good but-"

Maxim interrupted, "Lieutenant, we're good on bullets."

Evan nodded, he looked towards Gand's small group.

Gand informed, "We could do with more Sir."

"Do you need more?"

"No Sir."

"Then you'll be okay, move!"

The lieutenant's group began to move out, from building to building. Maxim whistled to Gand's group.

"Hey," He threw a spare clip, "Hope this helps."

"Thanks."

Kira finally gave a response, "I have 25 clips."

"Alright, so that's 60 in total. Make it count."

Maxim waited for a signal whilst Vova looked down his scope. Seeing the Germans fortify the building and set up barricades with whatever they had. He tracked his target, a soldier in a white ghillie suit, he was laying low scanning the surrounding area. Next to him, a machine cun was being set up, the building had a gaping hole in the top part exposing the Germans, their other sides were relatively intact.

He saw more snipers and soldiers take a position with some lurking in the rubble. Kira was still trying to get organized, dropping clips and even her gun as she tried to get into a proper position.

Vova glanced at her, "You need help?"

"No," she breathed out, the vapour covering her field, "I got this."

Maxim smiled, "You know, at first I didn't think you could shoot a gun, let alone get off a boat on the way here."

"Full of surprises huh?" She chuckled a bit, "Ah, the gun's ready."

"About time," Vova responded.

"Oh shush," She smiled as she peeked from the edge of the wall.

One knee on the snow, the other leg supporting her weight as she aimed down. Her sights were on a machine gunner in the direction towards them.

Vova pondered, "When this is over, what's your plan?"

"My plan?" Maxim thought, "I'd probably head back home, have a nice warm fireplace set up hugging my wife. What about you Kira?"

She chuckled, "I always wanted to be a musician, violin."

Vova rubbed his head, "You sure you won't drop the violin a thousand times? Those can be pricey."

"It's the nerves you know," She grinned, "The nerves make my fingers jelly-like."

Vova teased, "Whatever you say,"

"What about you? What's your plan?"

"Leave the army, find a gal. Move into a house up North."

The other two looked at him, seeing if he would crack a laugh.

"What?"

"I have a better chance at loading my weapon when the lieutenant is watching, than you buying a goddam house."