Chapter 33: Squadron 666

The plane they were on came to a halt and the door opened to the Pacific theatre. They were in a US airforce base, overlooking a small island that the Japanese wanted. The air grew sticky and humid, and the sounds of countless tanks and trucks set a sleepy gaze on the 4 men. Juels, Anker, John, and Devil's Ace stepped on the runway as a man came with 2 soldiers to meet them.

He had a nasty scar that ran around his right cheek to the back of his head. Made more apparent by his short dark grey hair. They saluted the one-star general, who saluted back.

"Welcome to the Pacific motherfuckers, I'm general Fortwill. The leader of his base. Now, on me," He started marching to the base's headquarters as the men followed.

As they walked John took out his canteen and drank his water, rubbing off some sweat in the process.

They went inside a building, the fans providing a cooler atmosphere, but one that was still humid. John drank a few gulps as they went upstairs. And another one as they approached the general's office.

Devil's Ace whispered to him, "Go on, have another," He smiled.

"I can't control my thirst man," John drank more water.

Fortwill's secretary approached him and whispered something. The man looked back at the men and informed them to wait in the seating area.

The small row of chairs slightly burnt their backs but it was all they had. The sun's glare came right into their eyes as they inspected the room. Largely empty and white with a few more chairs on the other side and some books that haven't been touched since they were placed.

John finished his canteen and sighed. "This fucking heat, I'll never get used to it."

Juels responded, "You weren't like this last time you came to the Pacific. Nothing's changed."

"I dunno man."

Devil's Ace pointed to the books on the bookshelves, "You see the books there?"

"Yeah."

"Who the fuck has even read them?"

"Literally," Anker chuckled, "Not a single person alive."

"Guess I'm the first one then," He said as he got up. A piece of paper fell from his pocket.

John picked it up and read it. He looked up at Devil's Ace, "You're the leader of a flight squadron?"

He looked back at them as he picked up a pink book, "Yep."

Anker chuckled, "That fucking flight was 3 and a half hours long. We was bored out of our bloody minds and you don't even tell us that shit?!"

"He looked at them, "First it's, we were not we was. And second, I forgot."

Juels sat up straight, "Go on, tell us the details, that paper tells us shit."

Devil's Ace put the book down and went to his original seat and put the paperback in his pocket.

"Okay so, as far as I know, these pilots are one of the best out there. As good as the Polish flight squadron 303. According to The Man, these 2 pilots were one of the best seen in Pearl Harbour and in Midway. So of course I'm in charge of further training them to be part of the Black Seagulls."

"Do you have a squadron name in mind?"

"Yeah, I was thinking, seeing as my nickname's Devil's Ace, I'm going to stick with the theme and call it Squadron 666."

"That's stupid you know," Juels laughed.

"Yeah well, I was inspired by you."

Just then the man called them in. The men got up and walked to his office. Fortwill started with Devil's Ace, handing him a form that he needed to fill out as well as the quarters of his pilots. He then had to leave.

"Gentlemen, The Man told me that you were the best soldiers that he had. I expect nothing less from that description. Now, in a day or so from now, you will be heading towards a small island suspected of containing a secret Japanese facility. Your mission is above my pay grade, so I assume you already know what to do."

John replied, "Nah we have no clue right now."

"SHOW ME THAT DISRESPECT ONE MORE TIME!" Fortwill snapped.

John immediately sat up straight.

"In a short while," He resumed to his more calm manner, "You will be going to a war room, further information about the specific whereabouts and what resources you'll have at your disposal will be disclosed there. Any questions?"

The room stayed silent.

"Alright, that's good."