Chapter 8: The Soft Under-Belly Part 1

Late morning fell in November 1940. The team except for Devil's Ace who was in the air huddled together in a hole manning 2 machine gun positions with 2 Greek soldiers. Cold swept the landscape as specks of snow floated down upon the III Corps of the Greek army.

"Who would think," John shivered profusely, "That we'd be freezing our asses off  in Albania."

Oliver's teeth clacked and spat out an empty mark. Barely getting a sentence out, he replied, "Against Italy of all countries. You hear what's happening over in North Africa?"

Anker nodded, "I'd rather be here though, I don't like the heat."

Luca responded, "You're weird."

"Din forkølelse."

"Guys heads up," Oliver informed as a truck full of soldiers and ammunition arrived, "We are going to be pushing  Korçë anytime now.

"We got the Italians on the run now," Expressed Juels.

"Would be helpful if we got some British reinforcements you know," John said as they got up to meet the pushing army.

"They are in Africa," Anker countered

"Where we should be."

"Εντάξει, σήμερα σπρώχνουμε προς την Κορυτσά, πρώτα πρέπει να επιτεθούμε στην ιταλική 9η και 11η στρατιά," The Greek leader proclaimed.

"What did he say?" Luca in confusion asked.

"We are going against the 9th and 11th Italian army. Don't know what else he said, I don't understand Greek."

The convoy started moving as the soldier marched along the hilly terrain with no tank support. The ground grew muddy and slush-like but as the snow died down, they came across paths with the Italians in stationed machine-gun posts.

They halted digging in defendable positions as a man on the radio barked orders. Like an electric shock, the bombardment of artillery fire caused some of the men to flinch as bullets began to open fire. Vehicles drove forward as men rushed to the Italians taking cover in the hilly sight. Using pockets of building as cover and sniper positions, blood stained the blanket of silence.

"Let's move come on!"Juels yelled out as they pushed to a higher elevation upon a woody area. Oliver laid low firing off shots to a group of Italians as Luca moved to a small boulder logged in the ground. A small group of Italians pushed their position picking off Greek stragglers amid the devastation. Juels and John moved forward to a slightly low point where two more Greek soldiers were hiding out. 

One yelled at them, "πλευρά δεξιά πλευρά θα πάμε αριστερά!"

"What?" John yelled back not understanding what was being said.

The soldier gestured to go right as he and his friend crawled left. Knowledgeable on what to do, Juels and John did as told arriving at a stone pile where more soldiers were positioned. Juels looked back at Anker and gestured for him to regroup with them. He sprinted forward as bullets strung around his feet. He mounted his rifle and fired a shot, striking a soldier in the head. He reloaded a bullet and fired another shot piercing an enemy's chest. He ducked for cover as he rechambered another bullet.

"You guys take out that small group, I think we got this position," Anker reassured before he looked over the stone pile and fired another round.

"We got this," Juels told John as he ran to a collapsed tree.

John covered fire as Juels fired his rifle killing an Italian soldier, reloaded another round in the chamber, and fire yet again. The bullet knocked off a chunk of wood. He yelled at John to run over to him as he was entering a new clip.

"Bayonets on," Juels commanded.

They both lept from cover, John firing a round into an incoming soldier whilst Juels charged another hiding behind a tree. As John ran to meet up with the 2 Greek soldiers from earlier, Juels fired a round into a man's shoulder knocking him down. He finished off his kill before pushing to the small group of Italians. Luca and Oliver left their positions and stampeded with the rest of the Greeks overthrowing the position and sending them back downhill where they pressed on forcing the Italians to cross an open area to find some cover.

Juels radioed to Devil's Ace, "Devil's Ace you there?"

"Always am, tell the position."

"There is an opening where the Italians are making a run for it. Give them Hell but it's danger close."

"I got them in my sights, don't you worry."

The plane descended from the sky, emerging from the clouds and heavy winds as the engine yelled out a war cry with a hail of bullets which rained down upon the shocked Italians. Dirt and bloodshot up with yells as bodies fell limp, and screams fell silent. The plane pulled back to safe altitudes.

"Appreciate the support, stay close by we may need you again."

"No problem Juels."

As the Greek soldiers ran across overrunning position after position, the Italians went into a defensive retreat. By a collection of houses, they set up snipers and machine guns, using mortars to halt the Greeks. Another group held the high ground raining down lead.

Anker met up with the group calmly despite the firefights occurring around them.

"We need to take those Italian positions. If we can, we secure a direct path to Korçë and make the 6 or so days worth it."

"Where are the Greeks focusing most of their forces on?"

"That hill, it will give us access to the main road. But these houses are a separate issue."

"See if you can mortar strikes there, we'll push when their defenses are weakened."

"Juels that may not happen, it seems like they are going to encircle their position and attack from the flanks. Call in Devil's Ace."

"Alright then," Juels nodded in agreement.

"Devil's Ace, you have bombs right?"

"Yeah, I have 2 bombs what's the position?"

"A set of houses, there are machine guns and snipers partially on the taller buildings. Drop them on my mark."

"Roger that I'll get into position."

The Geeks pushed with their vehicles and a massive push as they got slaughtered in the crossing. Arriving on the right side of the place, they stuck close to the walls and slowly commenced a house-to-house search.

"Now!"

The plane flew over major positons dropping bombs on them. As the group pressed on, smoke and dust filled the air as the streets soon became occupied by Greek soldiers as the Italians got flushed out into a full retreat.

The 9th and 11th armies soon began evacuating the city. 

"Guys rally on me," Juels ordered the team to him, "We did good and you guys came through when you had to. What's the status of ammunition?"

"Not good, I have about 10 bullets left," John responded.

"Only the bullets in my gun," Anker checked his empty pockets."

Juels concluded, "Not much huh? I'll try and organize more material to be shipped in but the focus is on North Africa. More importantly, now that Korçë is likely ours, we need to look into infiltrating some Italian garrisons. See what counter-attacks they have for us."