Chapter 6: Anker

Anker leaned against the cold stone brick wall. A busted lip and a slightly bruised eye. He ran his fingers down the pattern of the stone wall. Every bump and scratch sent a sensation to his brain. He heavily breathed.

His cell door opened up with a loud metallic clash. A guard came and placed his tray of food on the floor. Then shut the door. Shut the light out. He stood up, moving swiftly around his bed and desk even in the void of nothingness. 

The dull smell of food lured him to the exact position where his provisions were. He could smell the stale taste and powdery aftertaste but his stomach ordered it anyway. 2-week old bread, suspicious potatoes, and some green beans. To flush it down, some liquid he couldn't tell the composition of. No taste, no smell. He gulped it down to the satisfaction of his dried lips.
The plain bread and potatoes did little to subside his near starvation.

A small slit opened on his cell door. Anker looked at the man behind the door.

With a deep voice, the man began talking, "Det ville være nemmere, hvis du bare talte."

Anker stayed silent, not responding to him.

The man nodded and shut the slit. With a violent creek, the door opened and 5 soldiers came in dragging Anker out across the dried bloody floor. Right into a room where the mold seemed to be more part of the floor than the brick. Onto a chair made of broken tears and blood.

The man came close to him. Repeated what he had said earlier. Anker stayed silent.

The man muttered in German, "Ich könnte dich genauso gut töten," Before beating his ribcage.

Anker finally spoke calmly, "You're gonna kill me that quickly? Where's the fun?"

The man replied after a further beating, "I speak English to you know. A soon-to-be-dead tongue."

"I highly dought that."

"Listen, tell me where your ally is in Poland, and I won't slowly pull your fingernails off."

"All of this to capture some Polish soldier? Seems a bit extreme seeing as we are in Denmark."

The man grabbed a wrench and struck his face with it. Blood exploded from his cheek, a crack ruptured his eardrums as bits of bone trickled to the floor.

"We know that there is a coalition. That there are others like you out there, pulling futile resistance against the Reich. What do you think your pal in Poland is going to do? We already took it over!"

Anker smiled, "Polska jeszcze nie jest stracona."

The man looked at him in awe, his eyebrows tensed. He clenched his hand and grinded his teeth.

In a rage, he demanded, "What did you say you untermenschlich!?"

"Ain't that ironic."

The man grabbed the piler and placed it on his fingernail.

"Tell me the Polish soldier's name and where we can find him," The man smiled.

"Say please," Anker smiled back, "Didn't your mum teach you manners?"

The man pulled the pliers yanking Anker's fingernail off as blood spurted out.

Anker laughed thunderously, "You know, I don't even know your name?"

"Otto, now tell me before-"

"Please do it again" Anker interrupted.

Otto stepped back stunned, "Are you enjoying this?"

Anker replied, "Nie, to właściwie najgorszy ból, jaki czułem od lat."

Otto grabbed a butcher's knife and placed it on Anker's finger. "I don't speak Polish, what did you say?"

"Are you sure? I just asked for my finger to be removed, and here you are; threatening me like that."

"Have you gone mad?"

"Are you going to cut my finger off, because now I might just tell you out of boredom?"

Otto placed the knife down and shouted at one of the soldiers nearby, "Get me someone that speaks Polish would you!"

The soldier walked out leaving the two of them alone in the room. Silence sprouted as neither Anker nor Otto spoke. Otto grabbed his pistol and pointed at his groin.

"Fortæl mig."

"I always wanted to be a girl you know?" Anker smiled.

Otto pulled the trigger, Anker didn't even blink. The gun made a soft metallic clang as the gun jammed.

"Fine German engineering huh?"

Otto tried to unjam the gun as he grinded his teeth and tensed his muscles causes him to accidentally drop the magazine as the jammed bullet flung out. The ammunition flew out as the magazine hit the floor, the mold squelching underneath. Otto bent down picking up the now wet bullets to put them back in the magazine.

Taking the opportunity, Anker with his left hand began untieing his left hand with his left like he was trained to do due to the slack in the knot. Once the hand was free, he quickly freed his right hand.

Otto had just finished reloading his gun. He went to stand up again but was met with a kick to the jaw. As he collapsed to the ground, a tooth fell out.

Anker grabbed his pistol and aimed it at him. Otto surrendered.

In fear, he began to plead in the midst of his cry, "Hey hey w-we can work so-"

Anker shot him in the groin and picked up a knife, "Grow a pair would you?" he insulted before throwing the knife at his head killing him. He walked out of the torcher chamber seeing the soldier sent to find a Polish translator back empty-handed.

Without hesitating, he ended the soldier's life. The gunshot echoed throughout the underground prison. He heard multiple footsteps coming his way. He began running in the direction of the noise which was steadily getting closer as the soldier began to turn a corner.

Anker arrived at the corner first blowing the head off the first soldier. He made a move to the last one out of the three sent there before he had time to aim his rifle. Anker dropped his pistol grabbing the third soldier in a headlock with his left hand, the right hand grabbed the rifle and fired a bullet in the other soldier's heart. Finally, he twisted the last man's neck killing him.

He picked up the fully-loaded rifle off the floor as the 5 soldiers who had dragged him earlier arrived at the other end of the long corridor. Anker ducked behind the wall after firing a bullet at one of them. The man fell down as his lungs began to fill with blood.

Anker flinched as he heard the sound of automatic gunfire. He peeked the corner, his gun aimed at the 2 new men on the opposite end. He dropped his aim once he was who it was.

"Anker!" Juels shouted with a wave.

"Juels! Just in time I see!" He sarcastically reached back.

Juels ran over to him for a long-overdue hug. John was tailing back of Juels.

"This is John, he is part of the team now."

Anker shook John's hand, "Nice to meet you."

"Yeah, you too. Listen we just alerted the Kraught army within a mile radius, we gotta move now."

"Can't wait to see sunlight again," Anker muttered as the group ran out of the dungeon.