Chapter 10: Hill 669

Anker stayed locked in his room, refusing to open the door for anyone, or anything. Juels scratched his head as he gave up to find out what had happened.

John walked over to Juels, "What happened to him out there. I heard you guys got into a firefight."

"Nothing, he just suddenly got agitated."

Luca chuckled and put down his cigarette, "He's being a child, leave him alone, don't give any attention to him."

"No, this happened before when we were training. He was an excellent recruit, almost perfect scores until one day he got agitated, everything irritated him. No one could snap him out of it, the Drill Sergeants only made it worse, eventually, he was placed in a holding cell."

Oliver curiously asked, "What happened after?"

"He broke out one night, no one knew how. Came back in the morning as normal. Of course, he was reprimanded but was allowed to stay in because of his performance score. I asked him what happened, he did not comment."

The door busted open as The Man walked in. Behind him were soldiers carrying a wooden crate which they pried open before walking back out. The box sat there as the soft gentle breeze of the Greek air coated it with layers of dust. 

"You will be supporting the 8th Divison with their attacks on Hill 669. It is snowy there and the Greek's ammunition reserve is low. The supplies here are for you only. Juels, you and your team will go behind enemy lines and attack them from behind. Try and knock out some artillery pieces while you are at it."

John walked overlooking the contents of the box. Then back up at The Man. "Easy enough."

They began equipping themselves with their new weaponry. Juels picked up a new Sten Gun with a significantly better stock. Its ammunition and the new uniform. Fitted with white fur and housing plentiful pockets for magazines. A new Enfield No.2 Mk.1 Revolver fitted with a smooth barrel. Some knives, first aid kits, and morphine.

"You see this shit?" He laughed as he picked up a white phosphorus grenade.

Oliver checked out his rifle's sights, "MAS-36 rifle, 1.35x scope fitted perfectly on it. Never thought I'd use such a thing."

"What gun did you use?" Luca intriguingly asked.

"Ribeyrolle automatic."

Once they were equipped, Juels looked back into the box. One soldiers' worth of rations, guns, and equipment. He looked at Anker's door before ordering everyone to rally on him.

"Is Anker coming?" John asked.

"He'll decide that."

"His tantrum better not get us killed," Luca contested.

"Not a tantrum," Juels smiled as he walked to a transport truck, "Hop on, we'll meet with the 8th division half a mile out."

They got out of the truck, their feet swallowed up by 3 feet of snow. They hiked their way to the Greek force entrenched with machine gun positions occupied by several soldiers. Clouds coated the sky, enveloped it holding off-air support from the RAF. They moved past rows of men huddled around campfires as a Vickers Mk EA tank rolled through shoving snow to the surrounding area.

The small British tank moved along the road around hilly parts, tailing it was a unit of soldiers; their shivering masking the engine of the tank.

Oliver looked at the tank roll by in shock, "That's our armored support?"

"Wouldn't call it to support," Luca patted Oliver's back, "An infantryman could take out that puny thing."

Yelling aired all over the snowy landscape. Men got up into positions, some behind trucks, some moved to higher elevations using the trees to conceal their movement. A small convoy rolled up behind them deploying extra soldiers and one more cheap tank.