Chapter 11

Doe's POV:

It felt like you could see the entire city from this balcony.

Dots of light spotted the hills in the far distance through the night, showing where every house there resided. And even more on the flat ground around it.

Looking directly down, you could spot the main plaza that sprouted right in front of the entrance of the castle.

Even now it was bustling, hanging lights strung in a zigzag over the wide, bricked walkway. Spaces were kept between each permanent building there to leave space for the vendors or street performers to come and go as they pleased.

A huge children's playground to the right of it all, and what looked to be a lush garden to the left. All of it being dusted in a thin layer of snow.

From the height this room was at, it took a while for me to make it all out.

The height was... daunting at first, pulling up some rather unpleasant memories, but the quartz pillar railing that came up to the middle of my torso made for some added safety and allowed me to gaze without much more worry.

I lifted my gaze back over towards the tall mountains at the horizon, taking in the stars that differed from what I was used to seeing.

The faint breeze blew against the small leaves of the vines that crawled over the outside walls, adding a nice ambiance to the calm night after an eventful day.

Or... eventful compared to what I was used to.

I rested my elbows onto the flat surface of the railing, the material being colder than the surrounding air.

It was just a tad warmer here as well for this time of year.

So, of course, as I do, I came out here in just the shirt and pants I'd put on for the day.

The blanket on that bed was currently unmatched in warming me up.

And this, letting the cold air nip at my skin, kind of made Xander feel warm for a short while...

A sensation that was comforting in its own odd way.

Not that he wasn't already, it was just different.

I quiet creak rang out behind me, signaling that the balcony door to my left had been opened, and followed by 7 familiar footsteps.

"I'm surprised you haven't changed into something comfier by now," He spoke as he walked right to my side.

A fair comment. Since usually as soon as the day was done I switched into whatever I planned on sleeping in immediately.

Though the reason I hadn't yet was because I had to make sure he was okay with what I wanted to change into

I had planned on it only being a one-night thing but...

"Can I sleep in one on your shirts again?" I asked.

Despite the original goal with his clothes, it ended up being a lot comfier than I was expecting.

The loose but soft fabric that already had that lingering scent I'd become so fond of.

Even the closet itself had a hint of the musk.

As if sleeping on him wasn't already enough, but I wanted to take all that I could get.

He crossed his arms next to where mine were and leaned his top-half down so we were at the same height.

"Doe, you can use anything in that closet for whatever you want," he said, the green glow of his eyes shining just a bit with the dim light.