Chapter 28

Doe's POV:

When Xander left earlier telling me he was aiming to set something up, I don't know what I was expecting.

I figured it would of had to do with our later plans, but I don't know what he'd have to leave our room for if that was the case.

Come to find out, it did... sort of.

He insisted we ate in the dining room for dinner, something we'd rarely done, but I got dressed out of my comfortable clothes and followed his wishes anyway.

When we got there, it looked different.

It was completely empty, which felt odd for this time of day.

The lights were dimmed, candles casting a bit more light onto every table.

He lead me over to one in the back that already had steaming plates of food, and a thin vase of beautiful dainty flowers at the center.

'Setting the mood' he called it with a casual smirk.

And yet I recognized certain aspects of it from that first book I read, and the sight of it all sent a flurry of butterflies loose in my stomach.

They were dressed a lot nicer than I was in the book...

Which I don't think mattered. Xander was dressed as casually as I was.

He'd even sent Lily out for a short break so we were completely alone.

My plate heald held a magnificent assortment of smoked duck with a sweet fruity sauce, glazed carrots, and the basket of fresh rolls that we both shared.

Small plates of butter, jams, and honey surrounded it.

Xander's plate had a thick serving of salmon that radiated the scent of cedar, along with roasted asparagus.

"Did you choose this?" I asked as I sat through my stunned expression at the whole display.

Trying not to drool over the smell of all this alone, and stifling the part of me that didn't know how to handle the perfect atmosphere and dinner he'd put together.

His hair was still a complete and utter mess, but it somehow just... worked with the rest of everything here.

"Mhm," He began as he sat, "It's one of my favorite meals, and I think you'll like it."

Well, duh.

Just by look and smell alone, I was losing it.

"And all of this is for...?" I questioned, picking up my utensils at a totally normal speed.

Xander did the same.

"For tonight. I told you I wanted you to know what you should expect." He divulged.

I blinked at him in surprise.

"This is part of it?"

None of this was included in how I was taught, though I've been slowly coming to terms throughout the day that I was going to be having that realization a lot.

"For the most part," He plunged his fork into his food, "I've been wanting to do something like this for a while... For you to experience."

My face couldn't remain my own skin tone a lot today and succumbed to a blush a lot more than I would have liked.

I don't know what it was with me lately when it came down to him, but tonight wasn't the right one to start questioning.

The ambiance of everything was just... comforting.