Chapter 39

Doe's POV:

Food was ordered and he still hadn't returned, leaving me just slouching in his desk chair and spinning it.

Pretending like I hadn't just dug myself deeper and deeper into this hole.

I hadn't thought too much about it until tonight. Just summing it up to the fact that he was busy, or had something on his mind that was distracting him.

Tonight was just the breaking point. The night where things started clicking- or not clicking.

Being busy had nothing to do with some of this, and the main fact bothering me was still that lack of initiated affection.

Mixed with that scene in my book that I couldn't get out of my head.

I was horny and that turned my frustration into anger.

Anger which was very nearing the edge towards that present sadness.

That growing ache that came with the intense awareness of how little time we've had together these past days.

Mixed with how badly I craved his presence, his touch, his affirming words.

I wanted to feel wanted by him again...

And yet all of the sudden, after such a fun and peaceful day spent between just the two of us... After I finally thought that I had all of the clues to finally conclude this 'love' mess, he just disappears.

And I couldn't even begin to tell you why.

Usually some of his obscure behaviors I can at least try to deduce, but sometimes, his drastic way of thinking and getting tangled in his own thoughts gets the better of me.

I knew I couldn't figure the details of this out myself, but I kept trying in vain.

We'll talk. I've already concluded that we'll talk tonight, so why does my brain keep going back to these thoughts that just make me upset?

A knock on the door ceased my spinning, heal digging into the floor to slow it before I hopped up.

Food. Thank god.

I told Lily over the phone when ordering that I wasn't feeling too great, and apologized for not being able to see her at dinner as I planned.

She assured me that it was no big deal and that she'd whip up something to hopefully make me feel better.

And well, right now, she was my only hope other than Xander himself.

I hurried over to the door and threw it open.

I was greeted by a familiar face... of sorts.

It took a few seconds to remember his name, but the hair color and that one specific mole aided in my remembrance.

Austin... I'm pretty sure.

To be fair, I was more focused on what he was holding than who he was.

I eyed the metal dome covering my plate as he began speaking.

"I've got a... dinner for one?" He said, seemingly looking past me and into my room.

"Yup. That would be me," I confirmed, reaching out my hands for the food.

He didn't give it to me, instead took another step closer to look deeper into my room.

Come on dude this food is all I have going for me right now.

"Is the Prince not here?" He asked.

The question tugged at my chest, inching close to that sadness I was trying my best to fight off.