Chapter 51

Doe's POV:

The moon was reaching the point in the sky that began the effects of the bloodmoon.

After a long bath, I ended up falling asleep for a few hours. Both the emotional and physical toll everything that happened put on my body lulled me to sleep at his side.

I planned on staying up all night with him anyways, so it did me some good reguadless.

Usually, by this point, Xander would be by his window, watching the seconds pass and the moon deepen in color.

He was in my arms this time, his head under mine and arms folded behind my back while I played with his hair.

We both just stayed quiet as the moon took its effects on him, but my curiosity had me pin-pointing every twitch, every heavier sigh, or the press of fingers into my back.

I found myself waiting almost impatiently for his wings, despite him already telling me that there was always a 50/50 shot of that happening.

He wasn't wearing a shirt for that exact reason so... I think it was only fair that they showed up.

I steadily dropped one hand to his back, trailing around those spots like I was trying to coax them out.

He responded by locking his arms, a vibration traveling from his chest to mine.

Purring during a bloodmoon. That's certainly new.

"How's it going so far?" I asked my signature question that came with every bloodmoon.

Another thing that was new, was him chuckling a response.

"Good," He began, "Really good actually. That feral part of me is in a really good mood today for some reason."

I rolled my eyes at that last part, specifically the smug tone.

"So... no wings?"

He laughed again at the traces of disappointment in my voice.

"Most likely not, but I can try to get 'em later, now that my body is all," He searched for the right word, "In agreeance."

Oh yeah. I think Khloe mentioned something about that earlier.

Well, I suppose that was fine then.

I tilted my head down, inhaling a whiff of his shampoo, "Yeah you better." I grumbled.

I don't think my brain had come to the conclusion that since he now knew that I loved him, that I should act like it with the way that I talk.

That there was no need to be snappy in an attempt to hide my feeling because he was aware of them already.

But then I also realized that nah, I didn't want to do that yet.

I considered it part of my charm.

Plus he always read between the lines and knew my true intentions anyways.

I remember despising him for that once upon a time.

God that all feels like so long ago when it really wasn't.

Had you told me on the last bloodmoon what would happen on the day of this one... I would have considered you insane.

It felt insane to a degree, but a little insanity keeps things exciting I suppose.

Time flew. Everything fell together rather fast once it had the ability to.

For once everything felt steady.

There were no loose ends, no long-lasting detrimental questions, and now a plan for the future.

It wasn't a solid one, but it was an outline and with how much time we had, an outline was enough.