Chapter 66

Xander's POV:

There was a long pause between us, half of which was me working to shift my own focus from the previous topic to this next one, and the other was filled with me trying to decide whether or not I'd heard him correctly.

Frustration shifted into confusion, leaving me blinking at him through furrowed brows.

"Dad... after Khloe?" I needed elaboration.

He looked to his left then his right, nostrils flaring to ensure that only he and I were witnessing this conversation.

"He had one of the slaves doing his dirty work. I caught him last night breaking into my room with the master key since I wasn't supposed to be here." he stopped for a moment, going through the details in his head, "With the intent of knocking her out and taking her to dad. I caught him and hid him away on the southern side rooms and did some questioning."

My brows finally rose from the severity, at the uncharacteristic edge in his voice.

"He was the one that drugged her back then as well. Also courtesy of our father." He finished, crossing his arms and grabbing tight to his biceps.

I could nearly smell his trepidation. Sense the fear lurking just outside of his body.

Very few things scared Nico in this world, but this...

It was understandable, which just made it all that much more unnerving.

"Why?" I questioned.

His jaw tensed, giving me the answer I already knew, but didn't think he would say.

They were all about wanting Nico married, and if they somehow caught wind that he and Khloe were together... That could complicate things.

Drugging? Attempted kidnapping? These weren't things I'd think my parents were the type to try these things.

What could they wish to accomplish by getting their hands on her? Was it for information? For a solid answer as to what was happening between them?

If that was their plan then how were they planning on getting that information out of her...?

These attempts felt almost malicious, but my brain couldn't even fathom my parents using violence or fear to get what they wanted.

It was a possibility though... That much was becoming clear.

Their son loving a human- sons.

Shit...

"I don't know," His voice lacked the push to even make it sound convincing, "Not even dads slave could answer that one. Whatever it is he's making sure it stays between only him."

Him... Was mom in on this as well?

This didn't feel like their style. Could they really have changed this much during the time we've been gone?

I almost wanted to tell him that I'd figured what was going on. That I could help.

But something else was gnawing at me telling me not to. It was busy worrying about what would happen if Doe were in this situation and urging me now more than ever to keep our relationship hidden.

My marriage wasn't nearly as important as his was, and this was now one of the many reasons that I was grateful for my lack of limelight.

I could help in other ways.

"He didn't say anything about Doe, and I admittedly didn't ask in the heat of the moment," I noted and appreciated the apologetic tone, "I kept with her when I could before you got back, and if she wasn't with me, she was paired up with Khloe. I didn't want either of them alone just in case."