Chapter 38

Xander's POV:

A twist sat angry and unrelenting in my chest from where I had secluded myself in the library.

Pushing and aching for me to seek her out, not allowing me to read a single word on this paper no matter what it tried.

Causing my hard grip on the wooden table to become a clawed one, surely leaving scratches in it.

I'd listened to it a few hours ago. Left what I was doing and went and found her and Khloe.

The second I laid my head on her thighs gave me that moment of peace I'd needed from the havoc in my mind.

I only remember the drawing of Doe Khloe was doing and then the mention of her and my father sharing a birthday after Nico showed up.

Then he left, and well, I didn't want to overstay my welcome between the girls.

I could feel the urge to pull her closer creeping up on me every second longer I was there and left before it could become too much to hide.

Just for my body to retaliate harder and harder with every moment since.

And here I thought the days right after I had sex with her were difficult...

After our day out in the woods a few days ago, things began to... escalate. Quickly.

The constant internal nagging within my body about her turned into an intense burning need.

A constant pain that had me keeping every muscle in my body coiled in order to try to deal with it.

To hide it.

Only for it to respond with a harder physical punishment.

At this point, I'd been reduced to taking short, shallow breaths to escape the crushing feeling in my chest from reaching my lungs.

I'd caught the tips of my fingers trembling multiple times, and fighting the constant threat of that feralism surfacing and doing something that I might regret.

Something that might tie that connection into an even tighter knot.

My body- I was craving her to an extent I couldn't even begin to put into words.

Just her presence. Her smell, the sound of her voice, anything.

It wasn't in a vampire's nature to hide these things, Not when the connection had been established.

No matter how much I tried to convince myself that the connection was a mistake, it only made the crazed vampire in me more upset.

More pushy, more unforgiving.

I knew it was futile to try to convince myself that I didn't truly love her just for this push to calm down for three seconds.

Not when I wished more than anything that she was mine.

That me loving her was the most undeniable fact I could give.

How I wished that me and that feral part of me weren't simply one in the same. That it wasn't just a keeper and dealer of my deepest wants and desires.

So that way I could keep blaming it to distract myself from facing the fact that I was just fighting myself.

Then... to make matters so much worse...

My clawed finger curled into tight fists, feeling the puncturing of my claws into the skin of my palm.

...It'd been days since Doe last kissed me.

The day of our picnic was the start of this... that's what must have started this unforgiving change in me.

It was frustrating and crushing, adding even more onto my insistent urge to find her just so I could solve whatever I'd done wrong to have this happen.