Chapter 27

Xander's POV:

I gently shut the door behind me, returning to my room.

I'd successfully dropped off Khloe's food with a knock before leaving, as I was instructed to, and now carried breakfast in for Doe and me.

Some quick inspection showed me that Doe had crawled herself into bed, holding tight onto a chunk of the blanket that she'd piled together.

I can't say that this wasn't an answer I came up with when I wondered what Doe did after I left.

Nico came by early- well, early for us since we were terrible at shutting up and going to sleep at a reasonable hour.

I listened in right in time to hear her gently awaken.

I placed the tray with our food onto the small table beside the couch, intending to join her for just a little bit.

Our food had those metallic dome covers, so they won't get too cold.

She was facing away from where she normally did, causing me to spoon her as soon as I got close enough.

I adored the small noise that left her throat as I hooked an arm around her stomach, and gently pulled her body against mine.

My purr rumbled quietly after her head met with the bottom of my jaw, her hands thankfully releasing the pile of blanket she'd created in favor of my arm.

Another small groan on her part before her eyes fluttered open and looked around.

Once she realized the position, she then decided that she didn't like it.

"Did you scare the shit out of everyone?" Her voice mumbled as she turned in my grasp.

I shifted with her, letting her arms slither under mine to hold to my back.

"You know I did," I confirmed, letting my nose fall into her hair.

We didn't catch the culprit, but at least we had something to go by.

I just hope everything goes well.

"So what happened? Is everyone okay?"

"Everyone is alright," I guaranteed, "We learned that whoever did this doesn't live on this floor with us. Marcus took it upon himself to dig for some new information with Nico's aid, and Khloe's on bed rest until at least tomorrow morning."

Two of her friends were busy for the day.

She let out a quiet hum, most likely thinking the same thing.

"I'm glad she's okay," She huddled closer, capturing one of my legs between her own. "And what about you?"

"I've got nothing going on." I usually aided Nico with whatever work he had, but his priorities were rightfully elsewhere today, "Unless Nico needs my help for something, my plans are empty."

I wanted to stick close to her today. Just in case.

I was still antsy over the whole thing and just wanted to be safe

"How about you? You got any ideas for the day with all of this information."

I spoke in such a way to set up for some kind of quick-witted reply from her

But her reply was taking a second too long.

And then a few more, followed by some pressure around my leg she was holding captive, and the feeling of her pinching and fidgeting with the back of my shirt.

Another moment of the strange silence and my senses activated out of instinct.

The nervous beat of her heart almost matched the ones I'd heard earlier this morning.