One

A/N: Song recommendation: Sleeping at Last - “Saturn”

---

Rosemary and Steven Grant Rogers were born on July 04, 1918, in Brooklyn, New York.

Steve was exactly five minutes older than Rose , however, as he grew older he always acted as if there were years between them, because he liked to play the big brother.

In contrast to Steve, Rose was in perfect health and developed splendidly.
Steve, on the other hand, had scoliosis, cardiac arrhythmias, and asthma, among other conditions.

The father of both died in the First World War as a result of a mustard gas attack.

The two were left on their own with their mother Sarah, who was a nurse.

Sarah was always a good mother and tried to make everything possible for her children despite the difficult financial situation.
She adored her two children and spent every free minute she had with them.
Every night before going to bed she sang a song to them and before leaving the room she gave them each a kiss on the forehead and reminded them again how much she loved them.

Steve, who always had problems with other kids at school, was always trying to be a good son.
You would almost think he was trying to take on the role of the man of the house. He was always trying to find money or food.

One day, Steve was just 7 years old, the lanky boy had another fight in the schoolyard.

This time it was about another boy trying to steal the money he had struggled to get. The boy was a big, fat and intimidating guy and Steve knew that he had no real chance against him.

However, he was already of the opinion that giving up was not an option.
So it came to the point that the two began to argue, first only verbally and after some time the fists flew.

Steve, who was already lying on the ground with a bloody nose, clung to his money with all his might.
The big boy was about to swing his leg and kick Steve in the stomach when another boy joined him.
The latter pushed the strong one out of the way and the thug took flight.

The boy who had helped Steve reached out to Steve, who was still petrified on the ground.

“Hey, I don't know if you're brave or just tired of life, but my advice is next time just give him the money.” said the boy with the dark brown tousled hair and the big ice blue eyes.
“My name is James, by the way, but my friends call me Bucky,” he added while helping Steve back to his feet.

That was the day a deep and over decades long friendship was born.
How long it would really last and what was to come the little boys were not yet aware.

Bucky and Steve became best friends, and the two stuck together as if they had been glued together with superglue.
You never saw one without the other, and it became a habit that Bucky always helped Steve out of trouble.

Bucky, whose real name was James Buchanan Barnes, came from a better-off family.
He lived with his little sister Rebecca and his father James “Jimmy” Barnes in a house in Brooklyn.
His mother Winnifred died when James and Becca were young.
So Jimmy Barnes took over the duties of both parents.
He was a loving father and would never have raised his hand against either of them.