Thirteen

A/N: There is a paragraph in the story that is placed in italics - please sing this part in your head like the chorus of Country Roads.

Song recommendation: ABBA - Waterloo

---

At a little before half past two he made his way to the Brooklyn Bridge.

Since he didn't know what to expect, he dressed casually. He had a black jeans, a dark blue Tshirt, black boots and a warmly lined leather jacket on. His hair was loose and on one side he had tucked it behind his ear. Since he was uncomfortable with the looks of others, he also wore leather gloves.

Too often the looks of curiosity would hit him before they realized who he was and they turned into fear and concern.

The only positive thing about his appearance was that people stayed away from him. Even without the metal arm, his size and build made him seem intimidating and not exactly like a person you'd want to make small talk with.

Now he stood there. In the snow in the icy cold at the Brooklyn Bridge.
He didn't know exactly what to expect, Becca had just told him that they would recognize each other.

The cars rushed past him and every time one of the vehicles drove slower than the others, a feeling of nervousness spread through him.

He didn't like to be left in the dark, he liked stability and security, to know what to expect.

His thoughts went around in circles. He imagined what his niece would look like and what she had planned. He also thought about how he should greet her best.
Shake hands? Hug her? Wave?

Waving would have been his preference, he tried to avoid physical contact as much as possible.

Again and again he looked at his watch, even though he didn't really want to go on the trip, he had to admit to himself that he was afraid of being stood up.

What if they had changed their minds? What if the fear of him, the Winter Soldier, was too great?

Sure, he would understand. Which clear-thinking person would want to meet voluntarily with a former assassin who had been responsible for murder and manslaughter for over 50 years?

From a distance, he saw a vehicle that stood out from the crowd. A bright orange VW Beetle was coming toward him.

'Please, let it be any car but not this one.'

When the brightly colored Beetle's blinker went on, he knew that God, if there was one, would punish him.

At a bulge on the side of the road the car stopped and both doors opened.

When Bucky saw the two ladies getting out of the vehicle, he knew that the Beetle would have been holy with its appearance.

One of the ladies was a little older. She wore her white hair short and it stood off her head in all directions. Her stature was generally very compact, she was chubby but definitely not fat. Perched on her nose were a pair of large, eye-catching glasses with thick red frames. Her clothes almost slayed you - large colorful patterns adorned the poncho she wore. Around her neck she wore a necklace almost as big as her head. Her pants shone in a bright yellow and she had bright red Dr. Martens on.

Next to her walked a woman whom, if he didn't know, he estimated to be in her mid-30s.
Her straight long hair, which was copper colored, blew in the wind over her shoulders. Her features were delicate and elfin. She had definitely inherited her big round blue eyes from the Barnes side of the family. The rest of her face would give Bucky credit to her father's side, because no one in her family had freckles, certainly not this many.
She wore dark orange corduroy pants with a knit sweater that had different patterns and colors. She also wore Dr. Martens, but they were black.