Twenty-nine

A/N: Song recommendation: Chet Baker - it's always you

---

Rose had told Bucky about Ava, how she looked, how she laughed, that she had told her about Bucky every day, what stories she had told the little one to fall asleep, what her first word was and that she had just started to crawl just before she was snatched from her.

Every time she told him about her, they ended up sitting on the couch or in bed crying. They imagined together an alternative reality with Ava and what they would have taught her if it had never come to the captivity at Hydra.

Even though it had been decades ago, the pain was the same.

No more letters came and everything else was unremarkable. Rose and Bucky, along with the Avengers, had decided that if there was no further incident by the end of the year, they would go back to New York. After all, they couldn't hide here forever.

It was just before Christmas and Bucky and Rose were sitting at the dining room table eating dinner.
Today they were having homemade pizza, each topping it however they liked.

"You know, we should do a goodbye. In about two weeks we'll be leaving the house that's been home for us for the last year and where we've found each other again, don't you think?"

"A farewell? And what do you have in mind Sweetheart"

"What if you and I cooked, like a real feast for Christmas and invited everyone here?"

"Everyone?"

"Yes Buckster everyone and here in the house. We could eat together, open presents and have fun together. What do you think about that?"

Bucky thought for a moment before coming to a decision.

"Yeah, why not, actually. It's the least we can do for them after they saved our asses."

After dinner they sent a message to everyone, including Tony and Pepper although they must have forgotten about them when they said 'yes' to each other this summer.

It was going to be a big celebration, they realized as they sent more and more messages, secretly hoping some would cancel.

The next two weeks they organized everything for the celebration and for the soon life in New York.

On December 26, the time had come. A Quinjet landed some distance away in one of the fields surrounding the house.

There were Nat, Steve, Wanda, Vision, Clint, Sam, Bruce, Peter, Roslyn, Grace with her children, Mrs. Morris and Julia.

Tony and Pepper had cancelled, they wanted to enjoy the rest and had an appointment the next day for the upcoming house construction.
For Tony it went now blow after blow, first the wedding, now the house construction and a few days ago they had learned that Pepper was pregnant.
The playboy was settling down.

They all approached Rose and Bucky who were waiting at the threshold of the stairs, one by one they greeted each other and then entered the house.

Mrs. Morris pulled Rose into a tight hug. "Sweetheart I missed you. And who is that handsome man next to you?" She winked at Bucky.

"I missed you too Grams. This is James, my boyfriend."

Bucky shook the little old woman's hand and smiled at her "Please Call me Bucky though, Mrs. Morris."

"And you call me Emma."
The old woman winked at him again and followed the others into the house.

"Emma it is." Giggled Rose.