Three

A/N: Song recommendation: M83 - My Tears are becoming a sea

1938

The last year was marked by Bucky and Rose spending as much time together as possible.
They tried to find the balance between togetherness and including Steve.

Every Sunday they all had breakfast together, Bucky, Rose, Steve, Becca and Jimmy.

James "Jimmy" Barnes was in the Army.
Periodically he was at Camp Leigh in Virginia for a few days to a few weeks for training.
Becca and Bucky were always happy when he came home and when he didn't get orders to go on an overseas deployment.

The time they had could not have gone better until one day in 1938.

It was a Wednesday evening.

Steve, Bucky, Rose and Becca were sitting at the dining room table eating dinner when there was a knock at the door.

They weren't expecting visitors, so the looks they gave each other were all the more astonishing.

Bucky pushed himself and his chair away from the table and stood up to go to the door.

The three of them could see from the living room that Bucky opened the door after knocking again and suddenly stood there as if petrified.

Every muscle in his body tensed when he saw the two soldiers standing in the light of the lanterns in front of the front door on the threshold of the stairs.

He knew immediately what this was about.

"Mr. James Barnes?" one of the men asked.

"Yes that's me."

The soldier's gaze, hard at first, suddenly softened. His eyes radiated compassion.

"We regret to inform you that your father, Sergeant James Jimmy Barnes, was unfortunately killed during a training exercise."

The soldier handed Bucky his father's personal belongings.
Buck accepted them silently, still transfixed.

Tears filled his eyes and he felt his heart swell with pain.
He just nodded silently and closed the front door without another word.

From the dining room, the three of them watched the whole thing, not knowing what was going on.
They could only see half of Bucky's stature but they did not hear a word of what was being said.

Rose looked at Steve with a worried look and he decided to join Bucky in the hallway.

"Buck?" he asked in a soft voice as he saw his best friend struggling with himself while holding his father's things.

He knew immediately what had happened and put his hand on Buck's shoulder.
The latter looked at him with tear-filled eyes. The corners of his mouth were down and his lips were pressed together so that there were little mounds on his chin.

He could not do that right now.
He realized that his bewilderment was turning into pure rage.

A loud scream escaped him and he pushed his father's belongings into Steve's hands and pushed him back.
With a quick step he ran up the stairs to his room where he slammed the door behind him.

Rose, who still didn't know what had just happened and who was at the door, immediately jumped up when she saw how Bucky reacted to the visit.

She was about to go into his room when she realized that the door to it was locked.

"Buckster?" She knocked on the door but there was no response.

Bucky was sitting on the floor with his back against the door. His legs drawn up and encircled with his arms.
So that no sound escaped him, he bit his forearm. Tears sought their way down his cheeks to his neck.