059

TW: This chapter contains VERY graphic descriptions of violent actions and might result disturbing to some of you. There will be a lot of blood and gore, so if you dont think you can handle it, skip from the first * to the last * (you'll see them.)

New Year's Day. A new year about to begin, and a life about to end. Probably violently. With a lot of blood. And no time to taste the expensive, sparkling champagne. Not fun.

Helen stood in front of her mirror, wearing the black dress she'd worn the first time she'd gone out with Dean; around her neck, the snake necklace. She brought her fingers to the cold material, brushing it gently, trying to remember what it used to feel like when they were Dean's fingers on her.

Drying her eyes before stupid tears could smear her makeup, Helen took a pair of heels and slipped them on. Then, she opened a drawer and grabbed her most valuable weapons: the two snake daggers gifted to her by Dean. She strapped them to her thighs and grabbed a long black coat, tossing it over her.

She left her apartment and drove to Isaac's place, knowing the party he was giving would be starting soon. She rang the doorbell and both her friends greeted her with a warm hug.

"You look gorgeous, Helen," Isaac said, looking at her dress. "I remember this dress."

Helen gave him a slightly confused look. "You do? How? I don't remember seeing you there," she told him, not bothering to hang her coat. She wasn't going to stay here long.

Isaac chuckled, his hand into Mickey's. "Yeah, I know. That was the goal. But I was there and I already knew you two would end up together," he said, and immediately regretted as soon as he saw the shift in her eyes. "S-sorry. God, I'm so sorry, I—"

She smiled sadly, shaking her head. "It's alright, no worries."

Mickey changed the subject. "So, did you change your mind? You're... moving on and starting over with the beginning of a new year?" he asked, hopeful.

Unfortunately for him, Helen shook her head. "No," she affirmed. "I'm actually here to give you one last hug in case this is the last time we see each other."

Both their faces turned into sad scowls. "Don't do this, Helen. Please. You're not stupid," Mickey told her, taking her hands in his. "Stay with us—"

She snatched her hands back. "I said I want to do this. I— I owe him that. And I owe it to Savannah. And to myself." Despite their hard features, they welcomed the hug she brought them into. "I love you guys. I'll do my best not to die, okay? I promise," she whispered, enjoying the warmth of their bodies against hers. "Take care of yourselves."

"We love you too. We'll build a statue in the cemetery for you," Isaac joked between two sobs, making them all laugh through their tears. "Be careful. You can still win."

Helen nodded and pulled back, her heart cracking at the sight of her friends crying because of her. "Happy new year, folks. It's been a wonderful ride."

One that would end very soon for at least one person tonight.

~~~

The car was protected by two SUVs, one in the front and one in the back.

Helen climbed inside, sitting next to her boss, wearing his expensive tuxedo. She closed the door and glanced at Derek. "Good evening, Boss," she said as the car started moving.

"Evening, niece. You look ravishing," he responded with a grin. "Pretty necklace." If you want to get punched, just say it, she thought, clenching her hands.

Taking a deep breath, she offered him a nod. "What's tonight's plan?" she asked, avoiding a conversation about Dean.

Derek turned to her, but she kept looking forward. "I had your suit brought to the party. You'll be my personal bodyguard for the night." On New Year's? Fucking asshole. "But I have got you a little something," he added.