chapter ten - mixed messages

We're outside a set of luxury looking apartments, standing outside one of the doors on the second floor. Evans knocks. My heart races and my mind doesn't stop worrying for a second. Evans looks over at me, giving me a small smile and then slipping his hand in mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"Don't be nervous. He's gonna love you." He? So it's a him. Oh shit, wait, is it his—

Suddenly, the door swings open. My eyes widen at the man on the other side of the door. Oh my god, he's brought me to meet his brother!?!? Scott smiles widely, even letting out a small gasp.

"Oh my gahd, hi! Ah, is this her?!?!" Evans chuckles and nods.

"Scott, this is Meg. Meg, this is my brother, Scott."

"Gah, it's so great to meet you, Meg!" He beams, throwing himself forward to give me a big hug. It takes me by surprise a little, and my response is slightly delayed, but I hug back, starstruck. I don't know much about his brother, aside from seeing them both together in one or two interviews, but from what I have seen, he seems like such a ball of fun and the sweetest person.

"Hi! Y-You too!"

"I've heard so much about you. Chris never shuts up about you." He tells me, pulling back with a smirk. Oh. My cheeks unintentionally glow a deep red. Chris... actually talks about me? What does he say? In the corner of my eye, I see Evans flush slightly.

"Oh, shut it. Don't be a drama queen." He says, shoving him lightly.

"Don't know what you're talking about. That's downplaying it." Scott says, winking at me. Oh god. He's got to be messing around. He can't be serious.

"Alright, alright. Are you gonna let us in or make us stand outside?"

"Ah, yeah, yeah, come on in." He answers, stepping aside to let us walk in. Evans let's me go first and then steps in behind me, before Scott shuts the door. "Would you guys like a drink?" He asks, walking toward his kitchen.

"I'll have a coffee please." Evans answers.

"Sure, yeah. Meg?"

"Oh, I'm okay th-thanks." He nods an okay and then grabs a couple of mugs out of cupboard, as Evans sits on a stool at the breakfast bar. He then taps the stool next to me and I bite my lip, sitting down.

"So, what have you guys been up to today?" Scott asks curiously, prepping the coffees. He puts the kettle on the stove to boil the water. Evans looks over at me, giving me an encouraging smile. Oh, he wants me to explain? I'm so used to Liv taking the reins before I can even think about it. I'm not prepared. Oh Jesus. Shit.

"Oh, um... w-well, we headed out p-pretty early this m-m-morning. Chris t-took me to this r-really nnnice b-breakfffast place. Then w-we walked around th-the Venice canals, then he sh-showed me the ssskate park. Er, after that we w-went to Santa Monica p-pier which was l-loads of f-fun. We went on the r-r-rides and everything. Um— we t-took a w-walk across the b-b-b—" I get a little out of breath and the frustration kicks in. By this time, Liv would have jumped in to help, or someone else would have tried to guess what I'm trying to say, but both boys just patiently wait, completely unbothered. Listening as if I were a competent speaker making an important speech. I take a deep breath. Come on, Meg. "Beach. And then Chris t-took me r-roller skating b-because I'd n-never done it before." Scott smiles.

"Oh whoa, you'd never roller skated before?" I shake my head. "Is it a dying activity?" He jokes, making Evans laugh.

"That's what I said. It's not cool anymore! We're lame now, bro." Scott laughs too and shakes his head.