17: Banana Bread

TW: slight violence, alcoholism

Heeseung sat on the restaurant's counter, absentmindedly swinging his sore legs as he peered at his phone. It had been two days since they arrived back from the getaway, and the entirety of yesterday had been spent on their feet, shooting more scenes for their music videos.

He untied the back of his apron, letting it hang freely around his neck. Taehyun and Soobin perched themselves on barstools, organizing the wad of cash beside him.

"Minivan rental?"

Soobin set aside a small pile. "Check."

"Gas money?"

Taehyun took out another stack. "Check."

"Food?"

"Oh." Soobin glanced up at Heeseung. "That leaves nothing left."

Heeseung huffed, tucking the cash into an envelope. "You know, skipping one meal a day could save us so much money."

Soobin rolled his eyes. "Or we could start buying groceries, which is way cheaper-not to mention healthier-than ordering takeout."

"You know how to cook?" Taehyun laughed.

Soobin playfully hit his arm. "I made food for you and Kai every day for years!"

He turned to Heeseung. "You too! There was that whole month when we were trainees where you always 'happened' to be at my dorm during dinnertime; don't think I forgot already."

Heeseung and Taehyun giggled as Soobin whacked them with the envelope. The chiming of bells alerted them someone had entered the restaurant.

"Sorry, we close early on-" Soobin swiveled around on his barstool to face the door. "Oh, Beomgyu. Thought you were a customer."

Beomgyu trotted over, plopping himself down on Taehyun's lap. He peeled a banana from his fruit stand, giving each of the boys a bite. Taehyun hugged his waist to keep him from slipping.

"Guys," Heeseung cautioned. "There're windows."

Beomgyu sighed, sliding off his boyfriend's lap to join Heeseung on the counter. "I hate everything."

Soobin laughed, covering his fruit-filled mouth with his hand. He stared at the half-eaten banana in Beomgyu's hand. "Hey, did we ever end up making that banana bread?"

Taehyun shook his head. "No, that was the day Yeonjun hyung and Beomgyu had their fight."

"Oops." Beomgyu smiled sheepishly. "My bad."

Heeseung looked up. "I think the bananas are still in the fridge. We can make it today; practice isn't until six."

They glanced at the clock hanging above the kitchen entrance. It was almost three.

"We should start cleaning up now," Soobin advised. "The others will be back from school soon."

Heeseung stretched his arms, hopping down from the counter. "You remembered to tell Yeonjun hyung to pick them up, right?"

"Yep."

***

They reached home at the same time Yeonjun pulled into their building's parking lot. The younger members poured out of the minivan, following them into the dorm.

"You said they were in the fridge?" Taehyun asked, scanning the inside.

"Yeah, bottom shelf," Heeseung replied. He safely stored their money in a locked desk drawer before joining everyone else in the kitchen.