26: Busan Beaches pt. 1

"Here in Seoul, you guys are nobodies."

The CEO turned to face them, hands tucked behind his back.

"And it makes sense. Why would anybody care about a bunch of kids when there're idols like BTS, EXO, and Seventeen walking around?"

"Twice," Taehyun reminded. "And Twice."

Sunoo giggled, glancing at the older boy.

The CEO exhaled sharply. "I was going for boy groups, but yeah, sure, whatever works."

He paced the length of the airport window.

"Out there, you'll find people who'll recognize you. They'll try to talk to you; ask for pictures. Do not interact with them. Do not say anything to them. There's a week and a half until your debut, and I can guarantee you do not want a scandal right now."

Daniel raised his hand. "Sunbaenim, what about the sasaeng?"

"She won't be in Busan, so don't worry about her."

"With all due respect, sir, we think she's your-"

"Shush, Daniel." The CEO massaged his temples. "The police are handling it, okay?"

Daniel pursed his lips as Kai put an arm around his shoulders, ending the conversation.

"Heeseung, walk with me." The CEO suddenly left the window-side, strolling away from the waiting area.

Heeseung stood up. "Soobin hyung, you're in charge."

He jogged to catch the CEO, falling into stride beside him. "You wanted to talk to me?'

"Your manager told me about your little stunt at practice today." The CEO stopped walking. "It was brave. I'm impressed."

Heeseung held his breath. "I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

"Bah, I don't care." The CEO waved a hand dismissively. "She's whiny, isn't she? Always complaining."

"If you don't like her, why do you keep her around?"

The CEO shrugged. "She has good business ideas. Unique. It's what we need in the industry."

He glanced at Heeseung. "I'm not against you guys, you know. I really do want to see you succeed."

Heeseung remained quiet.

"That night I came to your dorm... I was drunk. I'm sorry."

"You could've hurt someone."

"I know." The CEO took a slice of banana bread encased in plastic wrap out of his pocket. "This is for you guys. I, uh, don't remember much, but think I ruined your baking."

Heeseung was reluctant to accept the gift.

The CEO pushed it into his hands. "I like you, Heeseung. You're a smart boy. Talented."

He paused. "You'll do good in this world."

Heeseung bit the inside of his cheek, staring at the shiny white tiles of the airport floor. "Thank you."

The CEO checked his watch. "Your plane will be here soon. Go back to your bandmates."

"You're not coming with us?"

"No. I have work."

"Then who's supervis-"

"Nobody; it's a private jet. BTS drove to Busan this morning but had a sudden schedule change. They needed to get back to Seoul as soon as possible, so they called for their plane. You boys are hitching a ride over and staying at their hotel."