Chapter 44: Bonus 12 [Sunoo]: Monster Among Men

TW: mentions alcoholism/withdrawal

"Ow! Stop, it hurts!"

The doctor stared at Taehyun with confusion. "What?"

"Hyung, they haven't even touched you yet," Sunoo sighed.

"And taking stitches out doesn't hurt, I promise." The doctor tried to reach for Taehyun's side again. "Here, why don't we-"

"Wait!" Taehyun frantically pulled away. "How about we reschedule for another day? One where Soobin hyung can come?"

"Soobin hyung won't be able to come for a while," Kai gently reminded. "Yeonjun hyung can't even get out of bed right now and his withdrawal symptoms always last for weeks."

"You can hold my hand," Sunoo offered. "Or Beomgyu hyung's hand. Whichever you prefer."

"Both would be great," Taehyun sighed defeatedly. He gripped Sunoo and Beomgyu's wrists, squeezing his eyes shut in anticipation as the doctor neared his stitches for the third time.

"Don't worry," a small voice whispered from the corner of the room. "Dr. Yoo is very good at what she does. No! Sorry! They are very good at what they does. What they do? Oh no, oh god, I'm so sorry, Dr. Yoo."

The medical student looked like she was on the verge of tears. She bowed excessively, backing towards the door. "I'll write myself up; you'll never have to see me again, I-"

Dr. Yoo snorted. "Kid. It's alright. Why don't you take a lunch break? You haven't eaten all day."

The medical student weakly nodded, whispering, "Okay. You're right, I should study for my exam tomorrow."

"Hey." Dr. Yoo eyed the medical student. "Eat something. You can't take an exam on an empty stomach."

The doctor glanced around the room at the boys of Belift. "That goes for you guys too. Never be so busy that you can't take care of your body and your mental health. It's not worth it. Alright, Taehyun-ssi. Hold still for me."

Taehyun gritted his teeth, squeezing Sunoo and Beomgyu's hands as the plastic surgeon skillfully removed his stitches.

"See?" Dr. Yoo took a step back, examining their work. "Painless. And it shouldn't even leave a scar."

Beomgyu buzzed around Taehyun fretfully, nearly knocking into Sunoo, who let go of Taehyun's hand and took a seat in a chair. He smiled, feeling cheery from the light-heartedness of their group today. Last night, they'd all returned from their much-needed family visits and had spent this past morning and afternoon relaxing in their dorm. Taehyun's evening trip to the hospital to get his stitches removed was treated more as a joyful outing than a doctor's appointment with all of Belift except Soobin and Yeonjun piling into their borrowed van for a tag along.

"Need anything?" Beomgyu asked the boy sitting on the hospital bed.

Taehyun shook his head. "Nope."

"You sure?"

"I mean, I guess I could use some water."

"Water?" Beomgyu echoed. He rubbed his hands together, looking torn between leaving his boyfriend and fetching his boyfriend's desires. "Okay..."

"You stay," Sunoo laughed, tossing his jacket aside as he stood up. "I'll get it."

"I'll come too," Ni-ki said immediately.

Sunoo pretended he didn't hear the younger boy. He left the room, walking fast to round a corner before Ni-ki could catch up. The sound of Ni-ki's footsteps drove him to break out into a light jog. He checked over his shoulder again and again, so preoccupied with losing his shadow that he didn't notice the boy standing in his path until it was too late.