Chapter 37: Silent Canary

TW: references suicide, depression, alcoholism, and eating disorders

"Heeseung, please hurry," Sunghoon whimpered. "I can't hold it much longer."

"Ah, sorry, I've almost-fuck-almost..." Heeseung groaned as he shoved his shoulder up against the metal frame of Jay and Jungwon's bed.

He fumbled around blindly, searching for the stray lego brick he had dropped behind the cheap yet surprisingly heavy piece of furniture.

"Heeseung!" Sunghoon warned. "I'm gonna-"

Heeseung grabbed the small plastic toy and scrambled out from under the bed.

Thud.

"Finally," Sunghoon moaned, rubbing his sore arms as he collapsed on top of the mattresses. "You jerk. What took so long?"

"Sorry, your legs were like right in front of my face, and I couldn't stop staring. Have I told you today how pretty I think you are?"

The younger boy rolled his eyes. "You're too flirty for your own good."

"I know." Heeseung sat on the bed and gently massaged Sunghoon's biceps. "Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. You're the best boyfriend ever."

Sunghoon giggled as Heeseung leaned down to peck his lips. "Right, well, next time, will you listen to me when I say don't build legos on the bed?"

An audible gasp sounded from behind the wall.

"Hello?" Heeseung glanced at the bedroom's entrance suspiciously.

The door flew open, revealing four boys standing in the hallway. Taehyun, Soobin, and Yeonjun dove out of sight while Beomgyu marched into the room.

"Legos?" He stared at Heeseung before breaking out into a toothy grin. "We thought-"

"Beomgyu, no!" Soobin hissed.

The younger boy paid no attention to him. "We thought you were fu-!"

"Stop!" Taehyun let out a scream of shame. He awkwardly cleared his throat afterward, eyeing Heeseung and Sunghoon sheepishly. "Heh. Beomgyu, shut up."

"Wait a second." Heeseung glanced around, spluttering. "You guys thought we were...? And you decided to listen?!"

"Curiosity's a killer," Yeonjun laughed honestly. "Yah, Beomgyu. Come back here."

He coaxed Beomgyu out of the bedroom like an owner trying to summon their runaway dog.

"I don't get it," Beomgyu sighed, trotting back to the hallway. "How come Sunghoon gets to skip school? I would've totally taken Ni-ki and Daniel down to the Han river for some bike riding."

Sunghoon robotically coughed. "I'm sick. I need rest."

Beomgyu rolled his eyes. "That is such bullshit."

"It's because Sunghoon's already passed most of his classes for this semester." Heeseung stood up, tossing their bed covers aside. "He can afford a day off."

"More like you just can't say no to him," Taehyun grinned.

"Haha. So funny. Tell me again, Taehyun, what were you doing outside the door?"

"Uh-" Taehyun blushed.

Beomgyu stepped in, crossing his arms. "Nevermind that. Shouldn't you start heading over to the high school to pick up the others? Yeonjun hyung was about to leave to get Ni-ki and Daniel from the middle school."

"What? Why wouldn't he just- Shit! I forgot we don't have the minivan anymore." Heeseung scrambled towards his suitcase, ransacking through it for a fresh change of clothes.