Chapter 43: Aftermaths and Bubble Baths

TW: emotional abuse, panic attack, mentions sex, references kidnapping, depression, death, homophobia, and alcoholism

"Why did you do it?"

"I didn't do anything."

"Stop with the games." Heeseung turned away. "You paid people to keep their mouths shut and turn a blind eye when we needed them. Why?"

"Isn't it obvious?" The CEO leaned against the bars of his temporary jail cell. "It was for you. I ensured your group's success. Nobody cared before. Now, the whole world is watching."

"But not because of our music."

"Well, yes. That's how it works, Heeseung. I've been in this industry long enough to know; you establish yourself first as people the public wants to root for. Music comes second."

"It doesn't come second. This whole—everything—it was because of music. I became an idol because I love music."

"The public doesn't give two shits about your music," the CEO laughed. He retreated further into his cell, lying down on the iron cot. "It's all about you. You must be perfect. You must be sellable. Only then will people care."

Heeseung clenched his fists. "But we were sellable. You didn't have to let a goddamn sasaeng kidnap Daniel to get people to buy our music."

The CEO remained indifferent, staring at the ceiling with his hands tucked behind his head. "Our company needed money. I couldn't take any risks."

"Risks?" Heeseung scoffed. "So you gambled with our lives?! She could've killed us! She nearly did!"

"I helped you. One day, you'll realize that, and you'll be grateful."

Heeseung shook his head. "I am grateful. I know you helped us. But what you did was wrong. It was dishonest, manipulative, and the public deserves to know the truth."

"The public will know the truth. And when they find out, let me be the monster, Heeseung. Give them another reason to root for you."

"Stop," Heeseung muttered.

"No," the CEO prodded on. "It's important that you know. I've always been on your side, whether you like it or not. Whether you admit it or not."

Heeseung didn't reply. He turned to leave, pausing for a moment. "Thank you for helping us debut."

"Of course. Make me proud, Heeseung."

"I don't need to make you proud." Heeseung left the room without another word.

***

Bubble baths were supposed to be peaceful, but Heeseung was filled with rage.

It didn't show, though. He wasn't the type to storm about a house, knocking over furniture. Instead, he sat in a bathtub of water and soap, fuming internally at the CEO's smug attitude. Bubbles encircled his limbs as he created small whirlpools with his hands.

Bastard. That cocky two-faced motherfucking bastard.

The worst part was that the CEO was right.

He had helped them achieve the unattainable.

In the past two days, Belift had skyrocketed in popularity. They were practically set for life now; the public couldn't get enough of the thirteen boys who had heroically protected each other and also happened to make wonderful music that could be bought alongside pictures, posters, albums, and just about every other good under the sun.

Belift was the group that overcame it all. They'd never be forgotten, and Heeseung hated that. The slimy shower curtain brushed against his skin, and he flinched, groaning as his eyes slid shut.