29: Way Home

"Heeseung, no!" Beomgyu began to cry.

"It's too late." Ni-ki rested his hand on the older boy's shoulder. "We have to shoot him."

Beomgyu cried harder, covering his ears. "Don't! Please don't!"

"I'm sorry. It's our only option." Ni-ki nodded at Daniel. "Do it."

"Rest in peace, hyung," Daniel whispered, aiming his gun at Heeseung's heart.

He squeezed the trigger.

Heeseung glanced down as a foam dart harmlessly bounced off his chest. "Really, guys? Stop scaring him."

"But hyung," Daniel giggled, lowering his nerf gun. "It's funny."

Heeseung rolled his eyes, setting his bag on the floor. About thirty minutes ago, Jihun had arrived home with two escaped boys, Jay and Jungwon, as well as a loopy Beomgyu on pain medications. They determined the firework that took Beomgyu out had simply been from the previous night's celebrations, in which the entire city of Busan lit up for BTS's arrival, only to find out later they left the same day.

After a poorly timed 'Bangtan Bomb' joke from Beomgyu that sent Taehyun into a crying fit, everyone finally settled down, and Heeseung was allowed a minute to relax. That was until Ni-ki and Daniel decided to take advantage of Beomgyu's altered mental state by pretending they were in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. And apparently, Heeseung had just been sacrificed in the name of the greater good.

"Hey there, buddy," he sighed, putting an arm around Beomgyu's shoulders. "It's alright. I'm alive."

Beomgyu stopped sobbing, looking up in disbelief. "How?"

"Jungwon found a cure for the zombie virus." Heeseung handed him a mechanical pencil. "Here. Go save the world."

Beomgyu leaped up, clumsily climbing over the walls of his pillow fort. "Everybody! I've got the cure!"

He crawled towards Taehyun and subsequently passed out in his arms.

"Thank god," Taehyun muttered, dumping Beomgyu's sleeping body onto the floor. "Never thought he was going to shut up."

"At least give him a blanket," Jake winced.

"Nah, he's fine like that." Kai leaned back in his armchair. "After he got his wisdom teeth removed, we tried to give him a blanket, and he woke up thinking he was a burrito. Long story short, someone called the police, and it was not a happy day at BigHit."

"Yeah, it was pretty bad." Soobin knelt beside Beomgyu, searching the boy's pockets for his wallet. "Nobody tell him I'm taking ten dollars. He still owes me from poker night three months ago."

"You guys are so mean," Sunoo laughed, joining Soobin on the floor. He pulled Beomgyu's phone out and began spamming the boy's camera roll with selfies.

"Sunoo, you monster," Sunghoon snorted.

Heeseung felt movement behind him.

"Where do you two think you're going?" He grabbed Ni-ki and Daniel by their arms. "Clean up your mess. And put the nerf guns back where you found them."

"But hyung-" Ni-ki started.

"No buts." Heeseung gestured at the ruined pillow fort. "I want this gone in ten minutes, or I'll ground you."

"You're not our dad," Ni-ki scoffed. "You can't ground us."

Heeseung checked his watch. "But I can call your real parents."

"We're cleaning!" Daniel yelped, grabbing a blanket. "See?"

"Hey, guys." Jihun entered the room, looking exhausted. "We need to talk."