The Day We Met

I had woken up a little after my dad called for me to. I threw on a pair of black jeans paired with a white shirt and a silver chain. The silver chain my mom gave me when I turned 16 and I wear it almost everywhere to feel like she's with me. I may be mad at her for leaving but she's still my mom and I still love her.

"Morning dad," I said as I walked into the kitchen where he was drinking coffee and reading the news.

"Hey kiddo. This is your last first day of high school, how do you feel?" He asked.

I laughed at the nickname he's been calling me since I was three and at the fact that he's excited about it being my last first day of high school. "I feel fine dad. It's just a normal day."

"Except for the fact that you're a senior now," he said, stating the obvious.

"Yeah, yeah. I know," I waved it off and grabbed an apple before grabbing my bag and keys and heading out the door.

"Bye dad, love you," I yelled back.

"I won't be home until late. Have a good first day, love you kiddo," he yelled back as I shut the front door.

I had saved up and with the help of my dad I bought myself a 1965 Pontiac Catalina. It's a dark blue almost grey color and it has two stripes that line up with the wheels; one a lighter shade of blue and the other white. I've had her for two years now and she is my prize possession.

I open the driver door and throw my bag on the passenger seat before getting in and starting the car. The school is roughly fifteen minutes from my house so I could walk if I wanted to but with such a beautiful car as my baby I wouldn't want to let her waste away in my driveway so she'll be my ride everywhere. The drive was relatively short considering the fact that the school is so close.

There was a student parking lot next to the campus so I pulled in there and parked in the first empty spot I could find which was more difficult than I thought it would have been since almost every spot was taken. Once I was parked I grabbed my bag and locked my car before making my way over to the campus. I had to check in at the office; get an ID and some paperwork to reserve a parking spot. I also needed my schedule and locker number and of course, the tour guide.

"Hello, I'm new here," I said to the short light haired lady at the front desk. "I got an email saying I should come here to get my schedule and stuff."

She smiled, "Ah yes, name please."

"Jayce Maxton."

"Here you are," she replied in a chirpy tone. "I'll be right back. I'm going to grab your locker number and combination, your schedule and the student parking forms you requested."

"Alright, thank you."

I waited for her to come back and when she did, another girl was with her. The girl she was with appeared to be a little taller than her but that was only what I thought until I noticed she had heels on so I assume she's about the same height. She had brown hair and brown eyes and was wearing black high heels with a purple mini skirt and a white blouse. Her hair was left loosely flowing around her shoulders and she was twirling it with a finger.

"Here are your papers Jayce, and this is Jamie. She'll be your guide for the day." The office lady said as she handed me the papers.

Jamie stepped closer to me and batted her eyelashes.

"Hey," she said in a flirtatious tone.

"Hey," I replied with a more bland tone.

She looped her arm around mine and dragged me out of the office and into the school's main building.