I Can't Believe You Right Now

"You owe me an explanation," Cat insisted, her voice ringing through the phone.

I just shrugged. Forgetting that she could not see me I replied, "I don't know."

She let out out an angry huff and I'm assuming she rolled her eyes at me. There was a tense silence between us and I didn't want to be the one to disturb it even further.

"Why him?" She questioned.

"I don't know," I sighed. "Something about him just draws me in. I think it's because we can relate to each other in some ways so he doesn't treat me differently because of it. He just accepts me the way I am and is there for me."

"I am happy for you, really I am," she expressed. "But you need to be careful, I don't trust him."

I sighed again knowing the she was right. Jake had swooped in and picked up when I was clearly at my lowest and it's almost as if Jayce was doing the same, but he's not Jake and it's unfair to compare him to my ex.

I settled on responding with, "I am, I will."

"Okay," Cat hesitated. "I have to go now so I guess I'll try to meet up with you tomorrow?"

"Yes, of course! Bye Cat," I sang as I hung up.

As soon as I was off the phone I could hear arguing from down the hall. Molly and John rarely ever argue and usually when they do, it's about me. They used to argue about how John believed they should have held off and not adopted me, saying how he only ever wanted two kids. I don't think they ever realized that I heard them but it hurt when I did, knowing that even the people who initially wanted me didn't want me anymore. Once they accepted my permanence in the household, they started arguing about how I was a bad influence for Lylah with the way I dressed, so I started wearing oversized t-shirts and baggy sweats instead of my crop tops and ripped jeans. Now it sounds like they are arguing about me and Jayce.

"-he's bad for her," John argued.

"But she's finally happy and you seemed to like him, I mean you invited him over last week," Molly refuted.

I could only hear bits and pieces of what they were saying but it sounded like they just kept going back and forth about how I should stop hanging out with him because he has too many personal issues and he'll only drag me down with him the same way that they think he's dragged Evie down. I could hear a door opening and shutting followed by approaching footsteps. Someone was running down the hall after the initial footsteps and before I knew it my door was opened.

I turned around in my chair to see John standing in my doorway, Molly trying to drag him away. He shook her off and made his way towards me.

"I don't want you hanging out with Jayce anymore," John said, pointing a finger at me.

"Joh-" Molly started before she was cut.

"No. That boy is in way over his head. If he needs help with his sister, fine, but Aydrian can't keep seeing him," he spat.

"But I-"

Now he cut me off, "Jayce is only going to put a damper on your schooling and your future. You'd probably end up like his parents if you two ever got together."

I was taken aback by what he had said. "What is wrong with you? First of all, his mom left not his dad and if you think he is anything like his mom I promise you he is not."

John just rolled his eyes and huffed in response, attempting to get a word out but I didn't let him. What is wrong with him?

I continued," Jayce is a good brother and he is trying his best but there is only so much he can do as a teenager trying to raise a kid and raise his grades while balancing the grief of losing both his parents. I will not stop seeing him because I enjoy his company," I said, starting to feel hurt by the fact that John wanted me to avoid someone who has done nothing but been there for me.

"What happened to Cat? You enjoyed her company and she was a good influence", he stated.

Again Molly tried to insert herself in order to calm John down over something that, in my opinion, he was blowing way out of proportion.

"I can't believe you right now," I said. "I am done with this conversation."

I made a move, the wrong move, to walk away and John grabbed my wrist hard. It took everything in me to not scream in pain as he came in contact with my scars.

"Like hell you are," he seethed, gripping my wrist tighter. "You will stop hanging around that boy do you understand me?"

"You're hurting me," I let out a whimper.

"John let her go," Molly said.

By now Derek and Lilah were standing at the door watching everything go down. I shifted my gaze over to them and John followed my trail of vision. As soon as he saw them his whole demeanor changed and he instantly let go of my wrist.

Lilah looked like she was on the verge of tears as John walked over to explain the situation. Derek stepped in front of Lilah who cowered behind him, probably afraid that John would hurt her too.

"It's not what it looks like," John pleaded.

"Yes it is," Derek said. "You hurt Aydrian."

"I- I didn't mean to," John stuttered.

Molly grabbed Johns hand and led him towards their room as he begged them for forgiveness.

Hot tears cascaded down my cheeks but no sound left my lips. Lylah was crying, loud wails coming out of her mouth as Derek rubbed her back soothingly. I stood there watching the siblings comfort each other but neither made an effort to comfort me. The scene was sickening and made my stomach turn. I shut the door in their faces effectively causing Lylah to cry harder.

My face was heating up with anger as I listened to her cry about my pain. I couldn't handle hearing her, or anyone, anymore so I locked my door and put my Bose headphones on. I clicked on a random playlist and turned the volume all the way up before crawling under my sheets and closing my eyes.