This Was a Switch

She closed the door behind me as I stood in front of the stairs. To the left of where I was standing was the kitchen. It had black cupboards and a white quartz countertop with a white tile backsplash. On the other side of me was the living room. The back of a white L-shaped couch was facing me and there was a black coffee table in front of it. Beside the couch was a black side table with a lamp on it. Across from the couch, on the wall, rested a tv and below that was a black tv mantle. I notice that they have a pretty prominent black and white theme going on.

I was admiring Aydrian's house when suddenly a door opened by the kitchen. Aydrian panicked and grabbed my hand, shushing me as she dragged me up the stairs and into a room. She softly closed the door and let out a breath before collapsing on the bed. I stood there by the closed door.

"You can come in, you know," she whispered and let out a laugh.

"I'm just admiring your room," I said, doing a fake impression of Aydrian.

She sat up on her bed and said, "that is definitely not what I sound like."

"Eh, I was pretty close," I replied. She threw a pillow at my head and I laughed as I picked it up off the floor and threw it back at her.

We were both laughing until a noise came from outside her door and her eyes went wide. She jumped off her bed and threw her hands over my mouth to shut me up. I rolled my eyes and smiled under her hands as I looked at the worried look on her face. Someone knocked on the door and called out to Aydrian, "Aydrian? Can I come in?"

"Sure, one second," Aydrian responded. She removed her hands from my mouth and pointed to underneath her bed. I shook my head 'no' so she shoved me towards her closet instead. She pushed me inside and shut the door. I could hear her footsteps moving away from the closet and over to her main bedroom door. She unlocked it.

"Hey Molly," Aydrian said.

Molly responded, "hey. Who were you laughing with?"

"Oh, I was calling Catherine and I had her on speaker phone because I was changing." She spoke the lie with ease and this Molly person bought it.

"Alright, well I was just going to say I brought you some food from Judy's diner for dinner," Molly said. There was a crinkling noise which I figured was her getting a container out of a plastic bag.

"Thank you." I heard Aydrian say.

Molly said, "you're welcome." And then I heard the door shut.

The closet door opened and I stepped out and went over to the container of, by the smell of it, fries and a burger that she had set down on her bed.

"Nope, mine," she said as she snatched the plastic container.

I gave her puppy dog eyes. "What am I supposed to eat?"

Aydrian sighed and rolled her eyes as she opened the box. We both sat down on her bed and she cut the burger in half with a plastic fork. She handed me the bigger half as she bit into the smaller one. Her burger was gone in less then two minutes and then she started pouring packets of ketchup on the fries. We ate the whole container of fries in under ten minutes. When we finished she took the rubbish to a trash bin next to the desk in her room. She then shoved an oversized t-shirt in my hand and a pair of large sweats.

"Here just change into this," she said.

I started to remove my shirt and she shrieked.

"No not in front of me! Go in the close," Aydrian rushed out as she pushed me towards her closet.

I finished changing which took me longer than usual since the closet was such a small space but once I did I stepped out of the closet and put my dirty clothes in a pile on the floor.

"Funny how I am borrowing your clothes now," I quipped.

She rolled her eyes and grabbed her laptop off the desk and walked back over to her bed, laying down on the right side. I sat at the end and she snapped her fingers which caught my attention.

"Are you coming?" She asked as she motioned for me to sit beside her.

"I don't know," I said, shaking my head and scratching the back of my neck.

"Oh come on, get over here," she replied. I scooted up the bed to lay beside her and she put the computer between us. It was opened to Netflix and she had The Office pulled up. She hit play and focused her attention on the episode while I focused my attention on her. I hadn't noticed it earlier but she had freckles. Light freckles that dotted her cheeks and her forehead, closer to her eyebrows. She must have felt me staring because she spoke up and said, "take a picture. It'll last longer."

I motioned as if I was taking a picture which caused her to laugh and in that moment I had wished I had my phone with me to take a real picture. She closed her laptop and looked at me.

"Jayce, do you want to talk about it?" She asked.

"What? How beautiful you are?" I replied.

"No. Your-um." She looked down.

"Oh." I looked down too.

"I'm sorry," she said.

"It was a car accident. His skull was damaged and there was bleeding in the brain. The procedure didn't go right," I told her.

"He loves you, just know that," she said as she put her hand over mine and looked at me.

I looked at our hands. "I know."

Aydrian's phone buzzed and she checked it. As she checked it I noticed it was 11:45pm and I got up.

"Where are you going?" Aydrian asked.

"I'll sleep on the couch," I answered.

"No you can't. Molly and John can't know you're here which means we both have to stay here," she said.

"Okay then I'll sleep on the floor," I responded.

"Stop being a gentleman for once."

"Well I'm not letting you sleep on the floor," I said as she looked at me.

"Why don't we both just sleep here? It's a queen sized bed, plenty of room," she suggested.

"No really, I'll take the floor," I replied.

"It's one night Jayce and besides I'm not allowing you to sleep on the floor and you won't allow me too so..." she left the sentence open.

I sighed and took my place back in bed beside her and she turned off her light.

"Goodnight Jayce."

"Goodnight Aydrian."

This was a switch. Instead of her sleeping in my bed at my house and me sleeping on the couch, I was sleeping in her bed at her house beside her. She was laying on her side, her back facing me, and I was laying on my back staring at the ceiling. Her breathing was slow and I thought she fell asleep so I grabbed the pillow and moved off the bed to sleep on the floor.

"Jayce?" Aydrian's voice was soft and laced with sleep.

"Yes, Aydrian?" I responded.

"Come back."

"But Aydr-"

She cut me off, "come. Back."

"Fine." I stood up and put my pillow back on the bed and laid beside her.

"I'm not letting you sleep on the floor. Now close your eyes and sleep," Aydrian said as she rolled over to face me.

I turned on my side to face her and she smiled.

"I like your eyes. They're such a pretty blue, like the ocean, so deep and mysterious," she giggled.

"Beautiful, you're tired," I said.

"Maybe a little," she responded as she giggled some more.

"Sleep."

"Okay." Aydrian looked at me a little longer before her eyes fluttered closed and her breathing slowed. Her features were relaxed, mouth slightly open as her chest rose and fell under the blanket with each breath she took. She looked peaceful. I knew if I stayed facing her I would never be able to close my eyes so I turned my back to her. I slowly let my eyes close and my mind wandered off to the world of dreams, or rather nightmares.