Aydrian's... Um Friend

(Back to Jayce's POV)

This week flew by quickly, with school and work keeping me preoccupied. I was once again caught up in my classes and work was providing good money for me to buy groceries, pay the bills, and pay for my father's funeral; Aydrian helped me to plan it out, considering that I wasn't emotionally able to do it alone. His funeral is to be held on Sunday, which is in two days.

It was late afternoon on Friday. I was currently switching shifts with my coworker-who I still don't know the name of- and driving home in order to get ready for my date with Aydrian. My nerves have been killing me this entire week so I've spent every night, leading up to this one, planning everything out in order to make it perfect. I told Aydrian to be ready by 5:15pm and it was currently 4:30pm. Thankfully, Evie was over at Amara's house for the night which meant I wouldn't have to worry about her and I could just focus on getting ready.

The house was too silent and I hated it so I grabbed my speaker, turning on the first playlist I could find before stripping off my work clothes and hoping into the shower. I refrained from using hot water, knowing that I'd stay in the shower longer if I did. Once I rid my body of sweat, I toweled off and threw on a black long-sleeved turtle neck, due to the cold weather, with black jeans and my silver chain. Finally feeling presentable, I rushed downstairs to retrieve the flowers I bought this morning for Aydrian. They were nothing compared to the ones she had hand picked for me but I thought they were beautiful, just as she was, so I purchased them.

If I left my house now I would get to her place five minutes early and I live by the moto 'Early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable'. With that in mind, I grabbed my keys and locked up before making my way to Aydrian's house. When I pulled up in front of her house the porch light was on and I could see figures shuffling around in her living room. I took a deep breath and opened my car door, willing myself to get out and walk to her front door. My body wouldn't move once I was on the porch, part of me wanting to turn around and drive right back home. Aydrian and I had hung out before this, just us two, but this time it was different; we weren't just hanging out, we were going on a date. My palms were getting sweaty at the thought and I had to shift the flowers between my hands so I could wipe my palms on my jeans.

Nearly three minutes had passed before I finally hit the doorbell, a loud ring echoing through her house. A muffled voice shouted something that sounded like 'coming' and I heard the sound of feet rushing over. The door was pulled open and I was greeted by a woman who had long blonde hair, reaching a little past the middle of her back. She had prominent icy blue eyes and was wearing a dark grey shirt that contrasted nicely with them. A smile broke out on her face and she moved aside to invite me in.

"You must be Jayce. I'm Molly," she beamed. "Come on in."

I smiled back and walked in towards the living room, where a man was sitting with a magazine in his hands. He put the magazine down, upon hearing my foot steps, and stood up. Once he was standing I could tell that he was around my dads height. His eyes were a chocolate brown color that almost perfectly matched the color of his hair. I could feel him sizing me up, his stare making my hands sweat again.

Molly let out an awkward cough and the man spoke, "I'm John, Aydrian's dad."

"I'm Jayce, Aydrian's... um friend," I replied.

He just stared at me, his face an emotionless painting. I felt so awkward and knew that my choice of words only made the situation worse than it had been when I first walked into the room. Molly looked at me with soft, apologetic eyes most likely noticing how uncomfortable I felt. John looked behind me and his features softened as a small smile appeared on his lips. I followed his line of sight behind me to where Aydrian was standing.

She looked gorgeous.

He hair was left falling in loose curls around her shoulders. She had on a baby blue shirt with white flowers and navy blue boyfriend jeans with a couple rips in them. I told her to dress casually since I wouldn't be taking her to any fancy restaurant. There was no makeup on her face which I was silently grateful for; I liked the way she looked without any on, even if it was only a little.

"Wow," I breathed out. "You look... so... so... ," I was struggling to find the right words to describe how perfect she looked. "You look beautiful."

A nervous giggle escaped her lips and she hid her face as she said, "thank you Jayce."

I stood, awestruck at the fact that I would be the one to take her out. Everything about Aydrian was perfect; her kind heart, her caring soul, her stupid yet funny jokes, her beautiful personality, and her breathtaking looks. Even her scars were beautiful; they were visible since she was wearing a short-sleeved shirt so I assumed that Molly and John must know about them.

I walked closer to her and handed her the flowers before taking her free hand into mine, asking, "you ready to go?"

"I am," she replied before looking back at Molly and John and saying, "we'll be back before 10pm."

John nodded his head in response and Molly said, "alright, have fun!"

With that, she set the flowers on the counter before we walked out of the house and over to my car.