CHAPTER 2

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

"It looks great on you," Dove reassured him. "So. . . You're giving me this beautiful necklace, so I feel guilty about not giving you anything?" Melo joked.

"That's not what-" "That's a wonderful idea. There's no way I'm going to the other side without giving my precious baby sister a necklace too." His jokey side was showing at the perfect moment.

"What about me?" Angel's eyes looked at her little brother playfully, "Do I get any necklaces? Or since I'm the older one, I don't get anything?" Melo smirked at her while grabbing the two bottles of wine.

"But our independent and beautiful Angelique doesn't need me to give her any necklaces since she can get them herself, doesn't she?" He mocked her, changing his District 4 accent when pronouncing her name. Turning around, he chuckled and walked with his back facing the main door.

"Ugh, just accept Dove is your favourite sibling already! I know I do," Melo used the opportunity to pretend to be hurt with a loud gasp.

"I'll go to Finnick's house after giving Muscida the wine. I'll be back before it's time to go to the town square. Don't miss me too much!" Kissing his sisters and mother's cheek, he left the women as he exited the house.

After some seconds of silence, their mother spoke up. "I think Muscida will probably need the company" The two girls nodded and followed her to the main entrance to say goodbye.

"What now? There are still a couple of hours before noon, and going through the market or town is completely pointless." Dove said, looking at her older sister, waiting for a plan that would thankfully take their minds off the reality for a while.

"Should we cook dinner? When we're back from the town square, we'll be starving," her older sister replied. It wasn't a terrible plan. Cooking would get them entertained. But the 'when we're back' felt out of place. It's as if Angel said it to reassure herself, and it probably had been like that.

"IF we all make it back, of course," Dove muttered under her breath. Angel made as if she had heard nothing and directed herself to the kitchen, thinking about what to cook to improve everyone's mood.

"Dove, what about if we cook salmon? Your favourite!" With a smile on her face, Angel tried to direct her sister's attention to another matter.

"Yeah, sure. But, I'll remind you that the last time you and I cooked, we weren't much better than mum. We didn't almost burn the kitchen, though. Still, I think we should wait for Melo. He'll kill us if we mess up the food," Dove giggled and paused for a second.

"Yeah, you make a good point. Then how about you sing for me? You were in the middle of writing something, weren't you?" Everyone knew about Dove's knack for singing, but there were few times when she would actually sing for them. One of those days was the Reaping day. She would sing to get off the stress and anxiety she had on her shoulders.

"I can show you the lyrics I've come up with so far, but I don't have much yet," Angel nodded. The two went up to Dove's room as Angel stood behind her sister, watching how Dove opened a hidden compartment in the third drawer of her desk. Respecting her sister's privacy, she looked through the window until she heard the drawer closing.

Both sat down on the bed. Angel never took her eyes off of her little sister. She would love to stop time right there. Listening to her sister rant about some unfinished song was adorable. And she might never experience it again.

She wanted to take it all in. She wanted to remember her sister exactly like that, a young girl with silly teenage problems. Not the anxious mess she had become, since she understood what death meant in their world.

The Life of A Victor || Finnick OdairOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara