CHAPTER 10

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

"However, I am willing to let a third Victor happen, as long as you make a deal with me," This surprised her. She wasn't expecting him to propose a deal to her. 

"I was under the assumption that only Victors had deals," she replied calmly, looking into his cold eyes. "Not exactly. They are for the people who are useful. Right now, Miss Ogilvy, you're useful to me."

"I doubt that any of what I can offer could interest you or the Capitol," she said, not confident anymore in where that conversation was heading. 

"That's where you're wrong, Miss Ogilvy. You see, there are many good-looking and attractive Victors for the people to enjoy. I don't need any more for the time being. I require someone who they can enjoy in other ways than physical. That's where you are needed." His words left her thinking. What could the President have in mind for her?

"I believe there's something you want. I feel generous enough to grant your wish, as long as you fulfil mine, too." Her eyes light up at the man's words. "My sister won't be reaped," she said hopefully.

"Not exactly. I was thinking of getting the next year's Reaping 'changed' to get your sister reaped. However, you, the younger sister, step forward to save the day by volunteering. How touched would the people be? Not only in the Capitol but also in the Districts. You would be everyone's favourite in no time." So I'm sticking to the original plan. But of what use can I be to him if I go to the Arena? But, that doesn't truly fulfil my wish. She thought.

"I can not guarantee your victory in the Hunger Games. However, if you succeed to win, the deal will automatically take place. I must say it'll be highly favourable for you, so think twice before giving me your final answer." She nodded, ready to hear the deal. Of course, there wasn't any other reply she would give than consent. But, at least, she should know what she was getting herself into.

"The deal is quite easy to comprehend. I need a fresh Victor for this next year's Hunger Games. Something no one has ever seen before. A little songbird, for example. Of course, if the most influencing people in the Capitol found you desirable, I couldn't do anything but accept their desires. Neither of us wants that to happen, correct?" Dove shook her head to answer. Just the thought of an unknown man touching her body gave her nausea.

"That's why it would be wise of you to use your pale body as an advantage. It wouldn't be too surprising for a young and 'fragile' girl like you to be sick. What if it was a chronicle disease? Not lethal or contagious, but a disease nonetheless." He made a pause on purpose. He wanted her full attention.

"Is that the reason the deal will be beneficial for me?" she asked. Too confused at the man in front of her to think of the amount of information he had given her about her loved one's deals. It was too much information in a short period of time. Her brain couldn't register everything at the moment.

"There's another perk for you on this deal, Miss Ogilvy. I have decided to spare your older sister's life if anything were to happen. After all, if you're a sick person, it would be believable to say your illness got complicated to the point where you died, wouldn't it? And people in the Capitol wouldn't be too sad since you were sick from the beginning. They would have had time to adjust to the idea of your death." So that was why he asked her to act like that.

It was better than nothing. She had her sister's safety and the promise not to be sold off. Wait a damn minute. If my sister will not be put into danger, doesn't matter what anyone does. . . And if I'm the only one not getting sold off to random strangers in the Capitol. . . The realisation hit her like a blow to her lungs, leaving her without being able to catch her breath.