CHAPTER 33

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

District Eleven, Clem's home. The largest district of all Panem was also the second poorest, just behind District Twelve. It was bad enough that just the day before, Dove had faced Alder's family, but now she had to face her other ally's family. Too many emotions in the span of twenty-four hours were confusing her, almost causing her to shut them off.

The ride to the Justice Building was suspiciously dark. The car they were in only had one small window next to Dove. It was as if they didn't want the mentors or her to look at the state of District Eleven. However, through the window, Dove saw the fields, the people, and worst of all, the surrounding grilles.

The people working in the fields went from the youngest to the oldest. As long as they were of any service, it seemed they were obligated to work. The people seemed like livestock, trapped between the grilles as the Peacekeepers made sure no one escaped or stopped working.

That day was supposed to be for celebration. The District should have a holiday to commemorate the new Victor, but they were working since the early hours of the morning.

Dove decided not to watch anymore. She was getting sick from the view. She closed her eyes and rested her head on her brother's shoulder until they arrived at District Eleven's Justice Building.

Everything passed in a blur, and before she knew it, it was almost time for her script thanks to the people of the District. Looking at the tribute's families' platform, she noticed Clem's family. They were composed of three women. Probably her mother and two sisters.

The women looked at Dove, sorrow filling their eyes. The two sisters seemed older than eighteen, which made her sigh relieved. They were no longer eligible for the Games. The mother never let her eyes off the new Victor, which confused Dove.

The woman's grey eyes seemed lifeless, yet something burned inside them. They had a soft constant glow in them, but it wasn't only hers, her daughters, and even the people around the crowd, too.

Looking to the right where Hazel's family stood, she saw the same in their eyes. After the incident with Rye's name, Dove no longer wanted to present herself in a district and not even know the name of the ones they were mourning.

On Hazel's side, there were two men and a little girl. By the way the two men interacted with each other, they would be Hazel's parents. The little girl looked between six and seven years old. Maybe older since the family seemed to be heavily malnourished.

As she heard the Major stop talking, Dove knew it was time for her scripted thanks. Delia had written something about Clem's bravery and Hazel's bad luck, but she wouldn't utter such false words.

"Clem was my ally for less than a day," Dove spoke up. Surely Delia would be getting ready to scold her once again for not reading the cards. Something about not making her work so hard if she would ignore them. "And I didn't get the chance to meet Hazel, but from the training days, I can say confidently that she was really sweet."

Hazel's parents stared at her, surprised. They were probably not expecting the victor to say anything about their daughter since she had no contact with her during the Games.

"With Clem, we formed an alliance quite late in the Games. We never spoke about anything because we were secretly expecting the other to betray the other. From the little he told me, I know he was a smart and quick-witted person, traits that I admire." Dove continued to explain.

"He could have waited for me to attack the other two tributes left and then kill me, but he didn't. He helped me get where I am today. I couldn't have done it without him and for that same reason, it'll always be present in my mind." There was silence.