CHAPTER 15

➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

Dove had been for an hour in Finnick's house by now. It was barely midnight, and the two had decided to stay up talking a bit later than usual. The Reaping wasn't until noon. There was no need to wake up early as usual since everyone would sleep in.

Both of them were on the boy's bed, looking at the ceiling while chatting, trying to avoid any Hunger Games' related topic. However, Dove felt uneasy every time she thought about the Reaping. If she died in the Arena, the words said tomorrow would be the last she would say to her sister.

"What's worrying you?" Finnick whispered, rolling over slightly to face her. Dove looked at him, a tear escaping her eye.

"I'm scared, Finnick. I don't want to die," she confessed in a whisper. Finnick stared at her, surprised. He was the same age as her when he went to his games, but she was completely different from him.

He had volunteered two years ago, his ego not letting him see the horrible choice he was making. He was overly confident, a sin Dove didn't commit. She wasn't sure of her own abilities.

Finnick wished he could tell her not to volunteer. He wanted to beg her to stay by his side, where she would be safe. But she wouldn't listen to him. Not as long as her sister's life was in danger.

Surprisingly for him, the Ogilvy family had a greater sense of family and loyalty than anybody he had met in his life. Once they considered someone part of their family, they would go to any extent to protect them. As a family should.

"It's alright to be scared, but you won't die. I'll make sure of that, and last time I promised you that, it worked out pretty well," he whispered. Trying to cheer her up a bit.

"It did, didn't it?. . . Finnick. . ." she tried to say between her sobs. Finnick got closer to her, putting his arms around her in a hug. "If I don't make it back-" he didn't like her words at all. There was no space in his mind for a possibility in which Dove would die.

"Don't say that. You will make it back," he reassured her while kissing her head. It didn't matter if everything he said were lies. He couldn't cope with the thought of her death.

"Finnick, be realistic. The odds are not exactly in my favour," she murmured. "They were neither in my favour nor Melo's, but here we are. I know you can do it." Dove grabbed a hold of his shirt. His arm had become her pillow from the moment he hugged her.

"Liar," she muttered under her breath, not loud enough to let him hear her. "If anything happens, promise me to take care of my sister, please," she begged him. Finnick's grip got tighter.

"I'll promise you that, as long as you promise me, you'll do whatever it takes to win. I don't care if you have to kill or hide. Just come back, alright?" Dove nodded. She was still getting used to the concerned tone of Finnick. Since she met him, he dropped gradually his Capitol tone. And now, it was rare the moments where he would use it.

"I promise I'll do whatever it takes to survive and win." Once she had promised him she would win, he felt slightly better. "Then, I promise I'll protect your family. It doesn't matter what it takes to do so, even if it costs my life," Dove lifted her head to look at him. She hadn't expected him to go to such extremes for her.

"The more time passes, the more I owe you," she told him. He laughed, remembering the agreement both of them had. "Then, I guess the favour I'll ask you will be even more significant. And remember, you can't say no."

"You're scaring me. You won't ask me to do something awful, will you?" She joked, still looking into his eyes. Dove loved the colour sea-green. All because of Finnick's eyes. Whenever he cheered her up, the first thing she saw was his eyes. That's why she hated to see him sad. His eyes then would change from a beautiful sea-green to a dark and lifeless green.